1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

επαν-

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by alfie1888, Jun 11, 2013.

1. alfie1888

alfie1888 Senior Member

Kent, England
    English - England
    Hi all,

just been talking to a friend of mine and as we were saying "bye" I decided to make up a word trying to be funny (and I thought I had until I Googled it - only 3 instances, though) so in response to his θα τα ξανά λέμε I said εις το επανομιλείν (going on εις το επανιδείν).

Does it actually exist or work, at least? :p

Any more like that as well?

Looking forward to reading your answers! :D

2. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    We never say "εις το επανομιλείν" but is not grammatically wrong. It should be "εις το επανασυνομιλείν" (re-chat) if it supposed to be an alternative of "bye". It is a nice invention of yours and the only reason that is not used is probably the length of the word. I like it.

3. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    No one actually says "εις το επανιδείν", except in jest. It is a translation of Fr. 'au revoir' which never took root. "Καλή αντάμωση" is the nearest equivalent in actual use, but even that is rare. Your suggestion sounds like a mock-καθαρεύουσα travesty of the colloquial expression "τα λέμε"!

4. alfie1888

alfie1888 Senior Member

Kent, England
    English - England
    That's what I was going for, Αγγελέ μου ;) ! I love καθαρεύουσα. It provides endless entertainment for me (and revision for my Classical grammar!). I'm always making fun of it, really. I have always said εις το επανιδείν in jest, thankfully, and have never used it seriously. I guess if I would, I would get some looks! :p

Out of interest, what is the formal equivalent of τα λέμε / θα τα πούμε ? I doubt I could say that to a business client in anticipation of our next meeting, right?

5. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    It would be perfectly proper, I think, to say to a business partner "θα ξαναμιλήσουμε" or even "θα τα ξαναπούμε". In a business letter, one would probably write something like "Χάρηκα που μιλήσαμε και περιμένω την απάντησή σας", or, if you are not actually expecting an answer, "... και ελπίζω να μας δοθεί η ευκαιρία να ξαναμιλήσουμε."

6. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    My father was often using "εις το επανειδείν". It is understood by elderly or educated people.