1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

θα σφιχτεί

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Apus apus, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Apus apus

Apus apus Junior Member

Leuven, Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium, French - Belgium
    Hello,

I'm reading a song and I don't find the declension of what I think is σφίγγω. Apparently it would follow that of τυλίγω, but I don't find the form corresponding with θα σφιχτεί.

Or is this θα σφιχτεί not coming from σφίγγω ; And what does it really mean ?

This is the song :

Παρακαλώ πότε να έρχεται το βράδυ
    πότε να έρθει εκείνη η ώρα η γνωστή
    που θα φανείς όπως ο κλέφτης στο σκοτάδι
    κι από την λαχτάρα η καρδιά μου θα σφιχτεί

Thank you for your answers!

2. ireney

ireney Modistra

U.S.A.
    Greek Greece
    Hello Apus apus!

You almost got there! Yes, it is of σφίγγω and yes, it is similar to τυλίγω. This is the third person singular of the future (the one we call Στιγμιαίος Μέλλοντας, I'm not sure how your grammar chooses to translate it; perhaps perfect future?). Τυλιχτεί for τυλίγω, σφιχτεί for σφίγγω. Note that you can find both (and all others conjugated the same way with -χθ in place of -χτ (θα σφιχθεί for example) but that's rather more archaic).

The literal meaning here is that the their heart will be squeezed by desire. It's the equivalent of your heart missing a beat, of having a breathless moment, any kind of mushy expression you care to think that has to do with the heart really :D

3. Apus apus

Apus apus Junior Member

Leuven, Belgium
    Well thank you very much ireney !

I can't find the Στιγμιαίος Μέλλοντας in my "ΤΑ ΡΗΜΑΤΑ ΤΗΣ ΝΕΑΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗΣ" though.
    Never mind, I realize now that I still have much to learn the next years in evening school !:eek:

Thanks again.

4. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Isn't it the future of "σφίγγομαι"? "Μου σφίγγει την καρδιά" means "it wrings my heart". Here I'd agree with ireney; "miss a beat".

5. Apus apus

Apus apus Junior Member

Leuven, Belgium
    Oh yes indeed, I find this form under Τυλíγομαι : ΣΥΝΟΠΤ. ΜΕΛΛΟΝΤΑΣ third person θα τυλιχτεí indeed. Should have looked for the next page in my book, sorry.
    Thanks both of you !

6. ireney

ireney Modistra

U.S.A.
    Greek Greece
    That's what you get for re-writing a sentence and not paying attention; you forget the word "passive". Sorry! :eek: