1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

λόγια in genitive case or as adjective?

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Ntwson, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Ntwson

Ntwson Junior Member

Γειά σου! Bοήθα με, σε παρακαλώ! In tha song performed by Stan called «Τα λόγια κομμάτια» I have something like "Pieces of words," but I can't see the word «λόγια» in conditions to sound it so as in genitive case or as and adjective. Please, help me! Thank you.

2. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

It is an elliptical phrase where the main verb is missing (something you can encounter in song or newspaper titles). So the whole title could have been "Τα λόγια έγιναν κομμάτια". Also the 1st person plural of the noun κομμάτι has acquired with time an idiomatic meaning. When we say that something is κομμάτια we mean that it is broken beyond repair, it has been blown to pieces, it's been destroyed. So the meaning of this title is "the words are broken", "the words were blown to pieces".
    PS - When you salute it's better to use the 2nd plural (2nd singular sounds very personal, it's like you address someone in particular from this forum, like in a private message)

3. Ntwson

Ntwson Junior Member

Tassos, thank you so much. Your answer has been one of the best for me. A lot of wrong answers has been sent to me by faking Greeks on the Internet. Thank you so much for helping me. I love your language. Have learnt it with all my heart and soul in a way that I want to make of it my second language without "Greeklish." Hehehe. ;-)