1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"ολοκληρωμένα μέσα" and "λειτουργία"

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Σικελία για πάντα, May 7, 2013.

1. Γεια σας!

Here's the excerpt from a text about Καραγκιόζης I have to study in Modern Greek:

"Είναι αυτάρκης με ολοκληρωμένα μέσα, έχοντας επίγνωση της λειτουργίας και της δύναμής του".

I grasped the meaning of "ολοκληρωμένα μέσα" (even if I'm not 100% sure of it, so I'd like to have a translation from you), and I have got some difficulties in understanding the meaning of the word λειτουργία in that precise context... for this word too I had an idea of what its meaning could be, but dictionaries didn't seem to confirm it...

I ask for your help :)

2. Perseas Senior Member

Athen
    Griechisch
    Γεια σου Σικελία για πάντα!

My suggestions:

με ολοκληρωμένα μέσα
    : he uses perfect means or devices (now what are they?...)
    λειτουργία: the way he deals with situations, problems...

I find the style here dense enough, it is not very clear to what the writer refers. However, one can use his imagination.

3. Eυχαριστώ! Now it's a bit easier to me to understand the text! :) And yes, the style is a little complicated... I think it must be for students of advanced levels, whilst I have been studying modern Greek since November only :eek:

4. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Αναρωτιέμαι αν στην προκειμένη περίπτωση η φράση "με ολοκληρωμένα μέσα" θα μπορούσε να σημαίνει "with all the wherewithal".

wherewithal -The ability and means required to accomplish some task. (Wiktionary)

-that with which to do something; means or supplies for the purpose or need, especially money. (Dictionary.com)

Όσο για το λειτουργία: the way he functions.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  5. Perseas Senior Member

Athen
    Griechisch
    Yes, this is how I perceive "μέσα".
    I have chosen "perfect" as translation of "ολοκληρωμένα", because "ολοκληρωμένα" expresses quality.

6. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Thanks Perseas!