1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

πανένδροσος

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by ymar, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ymar Junior Member

Polish
    Please note that I don't speak any Greek.

What does "πανένδροσος" mean exactly, and why is there the additional syllable in it with respect to "Πάνδροσος"?

I'm finding this word in Orthodox texts relating to Mary.

Here: "Χαῖρε ὅτι κατέστης Γεδεών ο πανένδροσος πόκος"

Here: "Χαῖρε Γεδεὼν ὁ πόκος ὀ πανένδροσος Ἁγνή·"

Here: "Παρθένε Μήτηρ Άνασσα, Πανένδροσέ τε πόκε."

Clearly, these are all about Gideon's fleece, the one that God made dewy on Gideon's request, since I know "πόκος" means fleece, and there's Gideon's name in two of the lines.

Now, "δροσος" means dew and according to the Wikipedia page, "Πάνδροσος" means "all-dewy". Which makes sense. But it looks as though "πανένδροσος" should mean "all-dewy" as well. So why the extra syllable? Does it mean anything? And why is the word capitalized in the last quotation?

2. Perseas Senior Member

Athen
    Griechisch
    "ένδροσος" (εν = in) means also bedewed, dewey according to LS. "παν" means all. So, "πανένδροσος" means, I guess, "all-dewy" and is used in metaphorical sense. Since it refers to Mary, it's ok being capitalized.

3. ymar Junior Member

Polish
    Right, but why isn't it just "Πάνδροσος"? What is the "-έν-" doing there? Does it have any function?

4. ireney

ireney Modistra

U.S.A.
    Greek Greece
    To keep things simple it's "in dew" or, as LS puts it, bedewed. He who has the quality of being dewey.

5. ymar Junior Member

Polish
    Oh! Sorry! I totally missed the point of Perseas' post. I get it now, thank you very much!