1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

προτείνω/συστήνω

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by BrendaP, Apr 10, 2013.

1. BrendaP Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    What is the correct word for the verb "recommend"...as in "I recommend this restaurant". I'm thinking προτείνω but συστήνω keeps popping up...but a bit of research tells me that συστήνω also means "introduce" or "present" and that's not what I'm looking for.

2. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    "Συνιστώ αυτό το εστιατόριο". You were not that far off.

By the way, if you enter "recommend" in the English-Greek Dictionary at the top of the page here, you can find what you are looking for very easily. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  3. Perseas Senior Member

Athen
    Griechisch
    Προτείνω, also.

4. BrendaP Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    velisarius and Perseas, thank you both so much. You know, the WR dictionary has been my "Bible" for a long time, and it's the best. I don't know where "συστήνω" came from...since it has the same letters as "συνιστώ", I can only suspect that dyslexia was at work! Again, thanks to you both.

5. Andrious Senior Member

Well, my "Νέο Υπερλεξικό της Νεοελληνικής Γλώσσας - Εκδόσεις Αφοί Παγουλάτου" say
    συστήνω και συσταίνω και συνιστώ: ...3)δίνω συμβουλές σε κάποιον...

6. BrendaP Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    hmmmm....thanks for that, Andrious:)

7. Live2Learn Junior Member

English - USA
    Brenda,

Even in English there's some overlap in terms of the words we choose as synonyms of recommend, depending on the context: propose, suggest, advise.

The committee proposed/suggested/advised/recommended that the measures be implemented with immediate effect.

I looked in several dictionaries and found the following:

προτείνω - propose; προτείνω να ____ - suggest
    συστήνω (προτείνω ως αξιόλογο) - recommend
    υποδεικνύω ενέργειες/λύσεις - recommend actions/solutions, but also advise (συμβουλεύω: άτομο)
    συνιστώ (συμβουλεύω) - advise Ο γιατρός τους συνέστησε να κόψει το κάπνισμα.

Since I am not a native speaker of Greek, I trust that the words everyone recommended/proposed/suggested/advised (?) for the context you're interested in, I recommend this restaurant, are accurate.

Τhe interesting thing for me is that advise stands out as different somehow, that it is more difficult to make it fit in the restaurant context, at least in English: I advise (?) you to eat in that restaurant. Perhaps that’s because it tends to be used in more formal contexts. It seems to work here, though: I would advise you not to eat in that restaurant. If you saw their kitchen, your stomach would turn! Isn't language fascinating?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  8. BrendaP Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Interesting thoughts, Live2Learn. Thanks for sharing. Language is, indeed, fascinating!