1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

σέλινο in english

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Egyptiotissa, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Egyptiotissa Junior Member

Πώς θα πω "σέλινο" στα αγγλικά;

Το Word Reference δίνει τη λέξη celery, αλλά είναι "κλασικό" λάθος, το κάνουν πολλοί (όσοι δεν μαγειρεύουν), πρόκειται για άλλο φυτό, συγγενές του μαϊντανού. Στο About.com βρήκα αυτό που πιστεύω είναι η σωστή ερμηνεία -- "wild celery" -- αλλά αναζητώ και διασταύρωση.

Εδώ είναι ο δεσμός για το About.com : http://greekfood.about.com/od/glossary/g/def_selino.htm

2. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    I always call it "leaf celery".

3. Egyptiotissa Junior Member

This too sounds right -- thank you.:tick:

4. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    We call it 'continental parsely'.

5. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Δεν νομίζω ότι πρόκειται για λάθος, απλώς υπάρχουν διάφορα είδη σέλινου. Το "wild celery" ή "leaf celery" λέγεται επίσης και "smallage".

Edit: Just saw your post now shawnee. I'm pretty sure that "continental parsley" is that which in Greek is referred to as "πετροσέλινο" or "μαϊντανός".

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  6. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Yes, quite right cougr. I was just going by the image provided, which looked like "μαϊντανός" to me.

7. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    I had a feeling that that may have been the case given that visually, smallage and "continental" parsley can be deceptively similar. :)

8. Egyptiotissa Junior Member

9. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Λοιπόν, έχουμε και λέμε:

σέλινο το "δικό μας" :) (Apium graveolens L. var. secalinum) = cutting celery, "Greek" celery, leaf celery, smallage, wild celery* (Διάλεξε και πάρε).

celery (Apium graveolens L. var. dulce)= σέλερι/υ, σέλινο.

* Έχε υπόψη σου ότι στην Αμερική το wild celery είναι είδος υδρόβιου φυτού.

10. Egyptiotissa Junior Member

Θαύμα! Καλύτερα δεν γίνεται -- σε ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ, Cougr! :) :tick: :thumbsup:

ΥΓ: Θα κοινοποιήσω και την πληροφορία σε όλους τους ενδιαφερόμενους του δικού μου κύκλου.

11. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    There's also celeriac or apium graveolens var. rapaceum (Σελινόριζα). But what about the other type of σέλινο that we use for χοιρινό με σέλινο? It seems to me that it's half-way between celery and leaf celery, and it isn't available all year.

12. Egyptiotissa Junior Member

Το celeriac είναι διαφορετικό. To σέλινο που χρησιμοποιούμε για το χοιρινό, τη φασολάδα, το βραστό ψάρι κ.ά. είναι το cutting/leaf/Greek celery.

13. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    You're probably referring to lovage (Levisticum officinale) which is similar in appearance to celery. It is frequently referred to as σέλινο in some parts of Greece and used in similar ways for cooking although it's proper name is λεβιστικό.

14. suej11 New Member

Oxfordshire
    English - British
    Coming from a family of gardeners, I think the only reason Greek σέλινο differs from the celery we are used to seeing in Anglo countries is that it undergoes a special growing process whereby it's kept under cover, or dark somehow (can't really remember) so that the leaves struggle to find light and create long white stems, which is the bit we eat - we ignore the leaves. So I believe they are essentially the same plant, just interfered with in the celery case.