1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

А все же заманчива должность твоя

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by seitt, Apr 22, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

The context:
    Нас время учило
    Живи по-привальному, дверь отворя
    Товарищ мужчина,
    А все же заманчива должность твоя

Please could you help me understand the line, “А все же заманчива должность твоя”? If possible, a literal translation would, I think, be helpful here, perhaps with explanations.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    А все же заманчива должность твоя - And still your post is tempting.

Должность - is not "poetical" word, it is kind of bureaucratic, especially in combination with official adressing "comrade man", and this outlines the poet's idea especially brightly: a man must serve - to a woman, to a state.
    Only such absolute genius could walk along the razor edge of so "Soviet" words without falling in vulgarity (or better say пошлость, which is untranslatable notion).

3. Dogcat Junior Member

Russian
    Rough translation - "And yet your post is tempting/alluring" ( "post" as "office", "position", like your role in an organization). In this case "должность" refers to one's professional duties (which is camping as the next stranza implies).

4. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you both very much - so, does все же have the same meaning as все (еще), then? Perhaps the же simply emphasizes все, which, I believe, can mean "still" on its own (and does so here)?

5. Dogcat Junior Member

Russian
    I doubt it. "Всё" on its own means "everything", "же" just emphasizes things, but when they are together as "всё же" they mean "still" or "yet" (with a sense of contrasting). There's a wiktionary entry about "всё же" here.

6. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    No.
    Всё же means "still" here (=все-таки), while just всё (without же) would mean еще or "mostly", "for the most part" or "all the time", which make no sense here.

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - in that case it must be "still" in the sense of "nevertheless, in spite of that", I think - do you agree?

Btw, is the а in всё-таки pronounced like a shwa i.e. like the E in "open". This would, I believe, be the case it it were a single word, but here, of course, it is hyphenated.

8. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Yes.

Strictly speaking, this is not shwa, but a reduced sound "a" (designated in Russian phonetics as [ъ]), like in all post-tonic syllables. Or you mean variant всё-тки? It is possible in the colloquial speech and in this case there is no vowel at all. But when used as a single word it is always pronounced completely (Таки он пришел, хоть его и не звали).

9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, excellent.

Could I please trouble you for a translation of your example sentence (Таки он пришел, хоть его и не звали)?

10. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Here Таки = все-таки.
    I think this is Ukrainism.

11. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged - so let me have a try:
    "Still he came, even though we didn't call him."
    Is that correct, please?

12. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Yes, this is correct.

13. Basalitan New Member

Russian
    "Still he came, even though noone called him" or "..., he wasn't called (invited)". The phrase in Russian doesn't specify if it were "we" or "they" who didn't wish to summon him.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  14. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged!