Боже мой

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by franknagy, Sep 2, 2013.

1. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

Gentle young and pretty and white bearded experts of Russian language,

Somebody asked me about the meaning "Боже мой".
    I answered him/her that it is a Vocativus and I gave further example "Господи помилуй".
    I had got atheist education of Russian language so I thought it is time to look after other Christian texts.
    I looked after the Lords Prayer for another Vocativus. So I found not only the Vocativus of Father but
    "Отче наш еси в небесех ..." than

Earlier I have known something about Они суть but I have read it only in the preface in a Biography of Mendeleev.

I found the whole table

--- End of prolonged preface ---
    My question is to you:
    Can you send me and example text where the plural 1st and 2nd person forms
    are used?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  2. Maroseika Moderator

These forms are not used.
  3. Lotto74 Junior Member

Ekaterinburg city - Russia
    Russian - Russia
    First, "боже мой" is just an exclamation with no other meaning at all. It could be used by atheists and believers alike. It's similar to the English expression "oh my (God)!"

Second, the examples you've found are Church Slavonic expressions. This is the ancient Russian language, those forms are not used in the modern Russian language and, moreover, people just won't understand you if you'd use them in your speech.
  4. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
  5. ahvalj

ahvalj Senior Member

The original Present conjugation of the verb «быть» is obsolete to the extent that most people, even relatively educated individuals like writers, don't know when to use the form «суть», not to mention the rest of the paradigm (except «есть», of course).
  6. ahvalj

ahvalj Senior Member

And, by the way, the form «есмы» is totally artificial, as far as I can judge, since nowhere in the East Slavic dialect continuum the Pl.1 ending was «-мы» (it was «-мъ» in most areas, «-ме» in Pskov-Novgorod, and «-мо» in Ukraine, without further details). I suppose that when «есмъ» became «есм» in the twelfth century, the paradigm was already in decline, so in the absence of support in the popular idioms the church language created this «есмы».
  7. ahvalj

ahvalj Senior Member

Uh, things were somewhat more complicated. Here is the citation about the Old Novgorod dialect (Зализняк (2004) Древненовгородский диалект):

1 мн.: есме 670, 854, 870. Имеется также два примера с -мы: есмы 872, Город. 1 (первая грамота — из Жабенского погоста, т. е. с востока Новгородской земли; вторая ориентирована на наддиалектные нормы). В поздних грамотах: єсме 929, єсме 361 (вероятно, еще 281), єсмь <єсме> 248 (2×); с другой стороны, єсомо <єсомъ> 357 (которое в принципе могло развиться из єсмъ, но также и из єсмы или єсме, с отпадением конечной гласной). Особо стоят єсми 370 (2×) (грамота с эффектом ы и), (є)[с]ми 20; возможно, это побочный результат совпадения форм 1 мн. и 1 ед. у данного глагола; но в No 370 это может быть и <єсмы>.
    В берестяных грамотах не встретилась новая форма єсмѧ, отмеченная в документах многих регионов, в частности, в новгородских грамотах ГВНП, No 45 (1373 г.), No 58 (1418–20 гг.), Хрест., No 37 (1398–1420 гг.), в грамоте 1412 г. (Д 40) и более поздних, с XV века также в северо-восточных, тверских, московских, рязанских грамотах.
    Возможно, в др.-новг. диалекте окончание 1 мн. -ме было ограничено презенсом атематических глаголов и императивом (всех классов), тогда как в остальных слу- чаях выступало -мъ (ср. Кортландт 1979: 63–64).
  8. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

Thank you Mr. Igusarov for the reference to the table.
    I am glad that I could iniciate a discussion among native Russian speakers.
    Díszszemle a Néván 2.jpg
    Day of the Fleet on the Neva, 1972.