1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Больше ждать замечаний не имело смысла.

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by wonlon, Nov 1, 2013.

1. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Continued from my last question. I asked it in a separate question just to avoid breaking the forum rule.
    My translation is really not natural, as you see.

...Мне, показалось, что редактор смеётся.

Через неделю мне сделали первое замечание за ошибку в газете. Ещё через месяц у меня было шесть замечаний. Больше ждать замечаний не имело смысла. Я пришёл к редактору с заявлением об уходе с работы. Редактор порвал моё заявление и сел рядом.

My translation:
    After a week they made me a reprimand for my mistake in the newspaper. Still after a month I had got six reprimands. No longer wait for reprimand....??? I came to see the editor with my resignation letter. The editor tore it into pieces and sat aside.???

Is Больше ... не considered together (as no longer) or "не имело" considered together?
    Is it имело + genitive a kind of impersonal construction? How to translate it here?
    What exactly does Через mean here? If I put it as after, how is it different from после?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    He decided that the lot of criticisms about his work, that he got, were a clear proof that he was not able to work in a newspaper. So, it was nonsensical to wait for more criticisms to prove this inability even better. However, the editor disagreed. "Не имеет смысла это делать" means "it is nonsensical to do this", it is an impersonal construction. "Больше не имеет смысла это делать" means "it is nonsensical to do this anymore".

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  3. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    After a week they rebuked me for the first time as I made mistake in my work. After a month more, I had collected six rebukes in my card. There was no meaning to wait for more rebukes; I came to the editor with my resignation letter. The editor tore it into pieces and sat beside me.

Well, I don't actually know whether those reprimands were written or oral. The questions:

4. Colora Junior Member

USA, Denver, CO
    Byelorussian
    In answer to your question, this sentence can be translated in this way: It was pointless to continue to wait for more negative remarks.