1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Для неё что Неаполь, что Клин - всё едино

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by wonlon, Jun 29, 2013.

1. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Lines from the edited Chekov story again:

Он: муж
    Она: жена

Он ходил по комнате и думал: "Путешествовать приятно одному. Если она поедет со мной, то будет жаловаться, что у неё болит голова, что ушло много денег. И зачем она поехала бы за границу? Для неё что Неаполь, что Клин - всё едино. Деньги от меня будет прятать..."

1. Для неё что Неаполь, что Клин - всё едино.
    What does что mean here?

2. "И зачем она поехала бы за границу?" Why is this in subjunctive (conditional??) mood?
    But "Если она поедет со мной, то будет жаловаться, что у неё болит голова, что ушло много денег." is not ("Если бы...")?

2. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Hello Wonlon
    A "если бы" verb construction is also possible, but then it is not a simple future tense, it is a conditional tense, and would mean:
    If she went with me, she would complain that ... or If she were to go with me, she would complain that ... Here again it would be a case of speculation or hypothesis, not future fact. In his own mind, he allows for the fact that she might not go with him.

*There are several towns in Russia called Клин.
    ** The author is Чехов - Chekhov.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  3. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Thanks Enquiring Mind:).

One more thing. Can "всё едино" become "все едины", which means all the places are the same?

4. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    No, всё едино in this context is an impersonal construction, as in [it is] all the same, it is single neuter. Bсе едины woild likely to be [we/they/you plural are] all united / the same / one, it is plural.

Dat + всё едино is a set expression meaning "it's all the same to someone"; все едины is not.

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I'm afraid the town is only one - not far from Moscow. There are also several villages and settlements of the same name, but Chekhov could mean only that town.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  6. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Oh! I thought it is a personal construction: всё (nominative) едино (short adj.).

7. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish

As far as I know there is no conditional tense either in Russian or in English, but both languages have a conditional
    mood. Conditional sentences can be in past, present and future, and in realis (possible to happen) and irrealis (impossible to happen, as the opportunity has already gone). If I am not mistaken если is used in realis and если бы in irrealis sentences.

8. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    What is the difference? After all, we only attach the conditional particle to the past-tense verbs, so calling what gets constructed a conditional tense is only natural: we do not have such a complex system of a few moods, each of them has so many tenses, that Romance languages have. As far as I understand, the English word 'tense' and the Russian word «время» not always mean the same.

9. olena907 New Member

Russia
    Russian
    "И зачем она поехала бы за границу?" - He wants to go alone, he's just trying to find an excuse, "а ей и не надо, она и не хочет, что ей там делать? - нечего"