Доверенное лицо

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Half Nelson, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Half Nelson New Member

English - England
    I'm a bit mystified by what доверенное лицо means, or rather, what a good equivalent would be in English. The latest context I've come across is a Putin press conference where a liberal journalist Венедиктов, is given the floor.

Putin asks 'а ему предлагали быть моим доверенным лицом?' Expressing surprise, I think, that he's been authorised to speak. The dictionary gives 'authorised delegate' or 'trusted person', but nothing I can find really works in this context. Authorised is the closest that comes to making sense for me.

I do some political translation and it often comes up - any insights would be helpful. Thank you.

2. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    I am too, and not a bit. But more context, I believe, should solve the problem. :) So far it looks like 'how can he know what I think? I didn't tell him anything special.'

3. Half Nelson New Member

English - England
    I've found the transcript:

МАРИЯ СИТТЕЛЬ: Спасибо, коллеги. Владимир Владимирович, я предлагаю передать слово, дать возможность задать вопрос человеку, который во время предвыборной кампании вашим доверенным лицом стать не захотел, отказался. Человеку, который уже 15 лет возглавляет известную радиостанцию «Эхо Москвы», Алексею Венедиктову слово. Алексей Алексеевич, пожалуйста, покороче.

ВЛАДИМИР ПУТИН: А ему предлагали быть моим доверенным лицом?

М.СИТТЕЛЬ: Говорят, что да.

В.ПУТИН: Да?

М.СИТТЕЛЬ: Можно спросить.

В.ПУТИН: Да? Я предлагал вам быть моим доверенным?..

АЛЕКСЕЙ ВЕНЕДИКТОВ: Владимир Владимирович, я вижу, ваши доверенные лица какие-то кровожадные. Один требует посадить Сердюкова, другой посадить Чубайса. Я как-то... Хорошо, что я от этой компании отошел.

4. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    Это что-то вроде должности. См. здесь, например. Про Венедиктова Ситтель сказала, что он отказался от статуса доверенного лица Путина, а Путин спрашивает, был ли такой статус в принципе предложен Венедиктову; Путин, похоже, полагает, что нет, но мне трудно сказать наверное, что именно он полагал.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    In this context "доверенное лицо" is the official status defined in the President Election Law. This is a person who is authorized (trusted) by a candidate to help that candidate run the campaign. His functions are almost limited to making agitation. Each candidate usually tries to appoint some prominent people as his "доверенные лица" in the hope that they would draw more votes. Does the phrase "agent of a candidate" makes sense?

6. Half Nelson New Member

English - England
    Aha - great, thanks. I can only think of verbs - celebrities endorse candidates, join their campaign team, etc. so Венедиктов was asked to endorse Putin / campaign for him, but didn't. :)

7. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    Putin actually is asking whether Venediktov was asked to support him, we don't know the answer from this fragment.

8. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Judging by this transcript, it's not that easy. It is the host who believes that Putin asked Venedictov to join the campaign. Putin looks genuinely surprised. His questions "Да?" could be translated as "Really?", "Did I offer you to become my trusted representative"? Venedictov had avoided answering this question directly and said that he's glad that he had parted with that campaign.

9. Colora Junior Member

USA, Denver, CO
    Byelorussian
    Particularly in this case Putin asked Venedictov to be his campaign official
    http://grani.ru/Politics/Russia/President/m.195003.htmlВладимир Путин предложил главному редактору "Эха Москвы" Алексею Венедиктову стать его доверенным лицом на выборах президента
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...defend-obama-embrace-super-pac-170915760.html
    http://www.kyivpost.com/content/rus...ve-238-duma-seats-says-election-o-118167.html