Заколебали

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by HighlyAcidic, Jan 30, 2014.

1. HighlyAcidic Senior Member

Washington DC
    English - USA
    Can someone help me with this slangy sounding word?

From this humorous sign: http://www.adme.ru/vdohnovenie-919705/zhizn-podezda-619705/619705-3282905/

Уважаемые Агитаторы

Соблюдайте, Пожалуйста, чистоту в нашем подъезде, не разбрасывайте ваши агитационные материялы по полу. Внимание агитаторов Единый России Вам вход в Наш подъезд запрещен!

ЗАКОЛЕБАЛИ!!!

How should I understand the last word? I imagine it means something like ДОСТАЛИ!!! but I don't understand how it literally conveys that meaning.

2. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    You are right, it does mean something like достали. So the meaning of the last part is [вы наc] заколебали / достали!

3. green_light Junior Member

Russian
    Hi.
    1)The word makes some sense even if to interpret it literallly. It consists of "за" and "колебали". "заколебать" here refers to the result of the process "колебать". So the logic of the word is something like following: Это нас колебало, колебало и, наконец-то, ЗАколебало. (But we don't say "Это нас колебало". I just used it just to explain the word formation).
    2)The word is rather slangy for sure and it cannot be used in newspapers or TV news. For official occasions you better use "достали" or "надоели".
    3)One more slangy synonym is "задолбали". The word formation logic is just the same as with "заколебать"
    4)

4. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Someone posted on the Abbyy Lingvo site here with these suggestions:
    stop pestering/annoying me!
    gimme a break!
    you drive me crazy/nuts!
    don't give me this crap! etc

and there's a previous WR thread on достали here.

5. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I agree with надоели "for official occasions", but certainly not with достали, it is way too slangy.

6. green_light Junior Member

Russian
    Ok, it's always very hard to explain when and when not shoud one use a word.:) But i'll try to clarify it completely:
    Let's divide the usage into "levels".
    1)Friends.
    Here you can use all of the words mentioned above - they all fit just perfect.
    2)Acquaintances, people you don't know(street) - generally colloquial speech.
    You better not use slangy words like "заколебать" and "задолбать". Just say "достали" or "надоели". Both of them you can encounter watching TV shows, advertisement. (Very common in TV ads - For exapmle: "Вас достали (Вам надоели) комары? Купите наш продукт и избавтель от них раз и навсегда!")
    3)Events like conferences, business meetings, presentations and so on - when you need to sound officially as hell
    The word we all haven't mentioned yet - "устать от" - "to be tired of". It's widely used to express that somebody is fed up with something but in very polite and neutral way. For example: "Наша страна уже устала от постоянных конфликтов" or "Наша компания устала от всех внутренних разногласий и нуждается в обновлении". Also you can use "устать от" in cases 1 and 2 and you'll always be safe using it since it is neutral.

7. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    For me, заколебали and достали are one "level", and "надоели" is another. As simple as that. I would not use either of the first two with people I don't know or know not enough. When an ad uses the word "достали", it is simply a very intrusive ad, it could use "заколебали" with the same effect. Although, of course, it is hard for mosquitos to oscilate anyone, since they're the same always, they don't change their action for a bit. As for задолбали, it is for me a third "level", below these two.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  8. Budspok Senior Member

Lübertsy, Russian Federation
    Russian-Lübertsy
    There’s another word of similar meaning - “заманАли”, which seems even more vulgar than “заколебАли”, “достАли” or "задолбАли".

9. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    I think the prefix за- is usually described in grammars as incentive (запиликать, задрожать), and it indeed is, but sometimes it is used to give the sense of finishing an action and making a conclusion to it (which is also sometimes given in Russian by this curious repetitive construction): заграбастать, заныкать, запугать.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  10. HighlyAcidic Senior Member

Washington DC
    English - USA
    Thank you all! :thumbsup:

11. wheelrunner Junior Member

eng uk
    if + инфинитив - это калька с русского. В английском так не говорят.
    Интересно, что даже когда if используeтся вместо whether, то сочетание с инфинитивом тоже невозможно. То есть, в предложениях типа
    I don't know whether I should tell him or not
    I don't know whether he knows or not
    можно заменить whether if'ом,
    a в « i don't know whether to tell him or not» нет.
    superlatives любят the (а то my etc.)

oscillate - это довольно научно звучащее слово, значающее «качаться»
    "verb [intransitive] to move regularly between two limits or states"
    по-моему это что-то вроде they never change their tactics one iota.
    NB. for a bit=for a while.
    Нп. he sat down for a bit = Он посидел
    he didn't sit down for a bit = stayed on his feet for a while
    но he didn't sit down for a minute/second= didn't sit down, not even for a second.
    inceptive (from inception=начало)
    incentive - стимул, поощрение, побуждение

12. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    I meant "раскачивать", "колебать", sorry. :) I.e. раскачивать чьё-то внутреннее расположение духа, that is колебать кого-то, так сказать, изнутри. We don't usually say things like "он меня колеблет", but the meaning seems to be derived from such metaphor, and indeed there are cases when you say that something достало, but you don't say that something заколебало.
    Thank you, yes, this is what I meant. I meant their tactics are always the same, so someone's reaction to them is always the same, too, so someone's mental state is not going to "oscillate" because of the need to react to how they change their tactics.
    Thank you, my mistake.
    By the way, "научный", as far as I know, is less level of precision than "scientific"; the latter has to do mostly with physics, mathematics, biology, and other disciplines of this kind, the first is, according to some, any kind of systematic knowledge, and according to others there is some well-defined mental method that uniquely enables to build a system of knowledge that is наука, but in both cases the object of that knowledge is not important. I.e. if 'oscillate' is used most often in physics and seldom in, say, psychology, then I'd prefer to say that this word "используется в основном физиками".

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  13. blind pew Junior Member

Russian
    Заколебали это просто эвфемизм от слова за*бали. Никаких метафор здесь нет. Аналогично выражение " это меня не колеблет". Слово заманАли - это калька с тюрского(?) слова аналогичного значения.

14. punctuate Senior Member

Russian
    Вам не кажется, что вы слишком категоричны? Начать с того, что непонятно, про что вы говорите. Если про современное восприятие этого слова — то единого суждения здесь просто нет. Всё зависит от воспринимающего, в нынешнем случае — от степени его испорченности. Если вы говорите про этимологию этого слова — то тогда для вашего утверждения не может существовать никаких доказательств. Потому что невозможно определить мотивацию использования слова, записанного каким-то чужим человеком в каком-то седом году. Если и про то, и про то понемножку — то это вещи всё же разные, с ними надо разбираться по отдельности. С уважением.