Играть в полную силу

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Sameer16, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Sameer16 Junior Member

Russia
    russian
    Hello everyone. How would you translate the following (context: the league's top team underperformed in recent seasons)

"Лидеры команды не играли матч в полную силу с начала и до конца. Не играли они с максимальной отдачей и весь сезон, нарушая тем самым лучшие традиции своего клуба."

The team leaders did not play to potential all game long. They could also slack down in midseason, contrary to the teams's traditions.

I don't like my translation, especially the bolded part, that may mean they played badly throughout the game OR they had sloppy stretches in some games, saving on effort.

Thanks,

2. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Hi Sameer16, I'd say "... didn't give 100% (a hundred percent) for the full (duration of the) match..." as used here: "From the playing staff, we will see a consistent style of football that attacks the ball and every player will give 100% for the full game, even if we are 4-0 up." (source BBC Sport)

"To give 100%" is "играть в полную силу". "For the full match" is a neat way of saying "с начала и до конца", and if you add "for the full duration of the match" it gives the phrase greater emphasis.

Your version is pretty good but needs a slight adjustment: "... did not play to their (maximum) potential ..." (for the full [duration of the] ....)

3. Sameer16 Junior Member

Russia
    russian
    Thank you Enquiring Mind, do you think "all match long" in my sentence is not suited here because it may bring ambivalence in the sentence, that may both mean patches of sloppy play AND underachieving for the length of the game?

4. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Yes, you're right, there is an ambiguity here. If I read "did not play to their full potential all match long" it could mean either (a) at no stage in the match did they play to their full potential, they underperformed (or held back) for the full 90 minutes, or (b) at some points in the match they played to their full potential (or gave 100%), but at other points they held back, or slackened off, or didn't play to their full potential.

5. Sameer16 Junior Member

Russia
    russian
    :) !!! Thank you

While we're at it , what would be your translation (...)?

Moderatorial. Rule 5: Strict limits on translation. No proofreading.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013