Им нужно кресло, чтобы их не взяли за одно место.

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by turkjey5, Dec 29, 2012.

1. turkjey5 Senior Member

English - USA
    Что значит "Им нужно кресло, чтобы их не взяли за одно место."?
    Заранее большое спасибо!!

Голосуйте за любую партию, кроме одной. За любую партию!" Должна быть альтернатива, потому что в "Единой России" все не бедные. Им нужно кресло, чтобы их не взяли за одно место. Вот и все! Достаточно посмотреть, когда показывают думу. Для чего они показывают, когда там восемь человек бегают и нажимают?
  2. morbo Senior Member

A seat there guarantees protection from criminal prosecution as well as a certain level of comfort in conducting one's business, whatever it may be.

Could be liberally translated as "They need a seat to protect their asses from getting it."
  3. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Excellent translation, morbo! Unless I'm mistaken, the одно место means "a certain place" (that you are too polite to mention), and "взять за одно место" is thus to grab/get someone by the (BE) short and curlies/(AE) short hairs.
    There is, of course, a nice pun here. If you have a (parliamentary) seat and you are sitting in it, no-one can grab you by the whats-its.
  4. morbo Senior Member

In fact, I've always taken "одно место" to mean "the arse" rather than anything pertaining to the human reproductive system. There's a whole subset of collocations it occurs in which suggests it: "сделать через одно место" (to half-ass something), "засунуть в одно место" (to stick something up one's ass), "отсидеть одно место" (to get one's ass numb or aching because of sitting on something uncomfortable). Though I guess there's an amount of variation to it.

upd: On second thought, outside of the aforementioned collocations it really could be interpreted both ways.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Well, if you were not too polite, you would say plain and simple "задница" — I took it as this is what EM meant. :confused: