Когда он поспал, я читал журнал.

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by yuryhashi, Jan 1, 2013.

1. yuryhashi Junior Member

Japanese
    Can this sentence mean that after he slept, I was reading a magazine?

2. rwils79 Senior Member

Cairns, Queensland, Australia
    English - Australia
    I'm not Russian, but here's my shot:
    После того, как он поспал, я читал журнал. - After he slept, I was reading a magazine.
    Когда он поспал, я читал журнал. - When he slept, I was reading a magazine. (I'm not sure about the Russian in this one...)
    Когда он спал, я читал журнал. - While/When he was sleeping, I was reading a magazine.

3. Go0gle New Member

Russian,Ukrainian

После того, как он поспал, я читал журнал. - After he slept, I was reading a magazine.
    This translate is correct, but if I wanted to say that phrase, I'd say it like that:
    Я читал журнал, после того как он поспал. = I was reading a magazine after he slept.
    Both ways are correct, but the last one is more common.

Когда он поспал, я читал журнал. - When he slept, I was reading a magazine. (I'm not sure about the Russian in this one...)
    This one I could understand, but I'd say that way : "Я читал журнал в то время когда он спал."

Когда он спал, я читал журнал. - While/When he was sleeping, I was reading a magazine.
    -> Пока/В то время как он спал , я читал журнал. Your's correct as well.

4. yuryhashi Junior Member

Japanese
    Can I interpret in the following way?

Когда он поспал, я читал журнал. - After he slept, I was reading a magazine.

5. Go0gle New Member

Russian,Ukrainian
    Yes, you can.
    You can interpret it like this as well:
    После того, как он поспал, я читал журнал == .After he slept, I was reading a magazine.
    If you have any questions you can PM me, < Personal data deleted >

Just in case, I'm not 54 years old, I'm 22 ;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Although it sounds clumsy, it still can be interepreted like that, especially in due context. But as an islotaed phrase, better to say more clear, such as после того, как and suchlike.

7. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    English
    In my opinion the English doesn't sound quite right. I don't know what sense the OP wants to convey and whether he/she was originally translating fom Russian to English or vice versa. I would suggest: When he fell asleep I was reading a magazine OR When/while he was sleeping/asleep I was reading a magazine.

8. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    When he woke up (from his nap), I was reading a magazine.

9. Vektus

Vektus Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    This phrase seems awfully strange to me in Russian.
    I'd rather say: Когда он проснулся, я читал журнал.

After the verb поспал I can not imagine durative actions, only short ones:
    После того, как я поспал, я приготовил завтрак \ вымыл пол \ сходил в магазин :tick:(resultative actions)
    После того, как я поспал, я готовил завтрак \ мыл пол \ шел в магазин :cross:

10. Sobakus Senior Member

That's the only way you can interpret it. The perfective verb makes a concurrent action impossible.