Нести-носи́ть

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by mabimabi, May 9, 2013.

1. mabimabi Senior Member

italiano
    Hello, I've studied that Нести-носи́ть means to bring. The first is the concrete form, the latter is the abstract one. If you add some prefixes like, for instance, при, you form a perfective verb with the concrete form (принести) and an imperfective one with the abstract form (приноси́ть). Thus far is easy theoretically.

What my grammar book doesn't explain is which one is the concrete form and which one is the abstract form.
    So, in brief, принести is the concrete or the abstract form? And приноси́ть?

Thank you, I'll use this answer with all the other verb.

2. Healer New Member

Russian
    Both нести, носить are imperfective, they get perfective with the prefix при.
    Носить is the abstract form, нести is concrete. For example,
    Я должен носить отчеты своему начальнику. (we can see it like "Я должен регулярно носить...")
    Я должен нести отчеты начальнику. (right now)
    This rule is not applied when these words lose their direct value. We can say "Он несет службу" (it can mean both now and generally), but not "Он носит службу".

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  3. mabimabi Senior Member

italiano
    I don't understand. I've studied that the fourteen verbs of movement have concrete and abstract form (or unidirectional and pluridirectional form or whatever you want to call 'em).
    If I add a prefix, why have they no longer this distinction?

I explain with a, let's say, table what I thought:

нести is unidirectional.
    нести plus при = принести is unidirectional too.

The same with носить, but it is pluridirectional.

4. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    :thumbsup:
    You are right!
    mabimabi, please disregard my previous post.

5. Sobakus Senior Member

Нести is the unmarked one, like идти (directional or concrete as you call it), носить is the iterative one, like ходить (undirectional/abstract). Hence принести is perfective and приносить is imperfective.

6. mabimabi Senior Member

italiano
    Yes, but a bit is missing.
    Being unidirectional, like нести for instance, implies a certain use in the sentence and conversely being pluridirectional implies others uses.
    If you add the prefix при, принести still remains a verb of movement, but who knows if it's unidirectional or pluridirectional? So on, how do I know when to use it if I don't know if it's unidirectional or pluridirectional?

7. Wasmachien Junior Member

Dutch - Flanders
    When you add prefixes, it's no longer about uni- or pluridirectional, but about the 'regular' distinction between perfective and imperfective. (For example, I can't see how you would use приносить 'to bring' in a pluridirectional way.)

So you say: Вчера я принёс шоколад. Я каждый день приносил шоколад.

8. dePrades Senior Member

Catalan and Spanish - Catalonia
    I agree. It took me long to figure it out, but all the verbs of movement "lose" their directional difference when they get a prefix and the multidirectional verb with a prefix becomes the imperfective form of the "new verb" (the one with the prefix) and the unidirectional verb of movement the perfective form.

Let's try to make it clearer with an example:

Uniderectional: идти (imperfective) / пойти (perfective)
    Multidirectional: ходить (imperfective) / no perfective form

When you add a prefix the unidirectional/multidrectional distinction disappear. The verb gets a new meaning and then you have.

Unidirectional/Multidirectional: входить (imperfective) / войти (perfective)
    Unidirectional/Multidirectional: уходить (imperfective) / уйти (perfective)

And so on.

I hope it helps!