Он моего возраста not он мой возраст

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by polyglot44, Feb 25, 2014.

1. polyglot44 New Member

In the following sentence could anyone tell me why
    Он моего возраста is used to mean "he is my age" and not он мой возраста

thanks in advance :)
  2. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Because both words (the possessive pronoun and the noun) must be in the same case (genitive).
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  3. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Hi Polyglot, and welcome!
    This is because the word "my" is the modifier to the word "age". These words should agree in gender, number and case. Hence, "my" should be masculine ("возраст" is masc.), singular, in the same genitive case as "возраста".

Edit: Sorry for the race. )

Edit 2:
    I've just noticed that you've typed another phrases in the thread title. Both of them agree just right. So was that a question about Genitive vs. Accusative case? Genitive must be used here because the phrase "моего возраста" is not an object, it is a postmodifier: "He is a man - what kind of man? - my age." This type of modifier is called "несогласованное определение" and in many cases it requires Genitive case.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Think if the genitive (as opposed to nominative) here as an equivalent of he is of my age.
  5. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Funny thing, this thread in English Only forum says that "of" sounds strange in this particular phrase. On the other hand, "of my era" sounds just right. This makes me wonder if "of" is perceived by native English speakers as "из" in corresponding Russian phrases:
    "Он моего возраста" - this one would be wrong with "из".
    "Он из моей эпохи" - this one would be wrong without "из".