Отсюда я уезжаю и возвращаюсь снова.

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by wonlon, Nov 2, 2013.

1. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    This question follows from my last thread. A man found his career as a reporter. Here it comes:

Моя газета. Моя комната на шестом этаже. Тут мой рабочий стол, мои друзья. Сюда я приношу всё, что узнал и увидел. Тут меня критикуют и говорят доброе слово. Отсюда я уезжаю и возвращаюсь снова.

My understanding:
    Oh! My newspaper. My room is on the 6th floor. Here are my working desk and my friends. To here I am bringing everything I have learned and seen. Here many people (or just the editor) criticize me and say good words to me. From here I leave and return again.

Отсюда я уезжаю и возврашаюсь снова:I am wondering why уезжаю and возвращаюсь is in imperfective. What does this sentence mean? Does it mean annulled action?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. Honeythunder New Member

Russian
    From here I leave and return again.
    This is more or less correct. It is implied that it is a regular action. For instance, he leaves his office every day and the next day he comes back again. In English it is expressed with the same tense and verbal form.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  3. willem81 Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Small correction: возвращаюсь.

Отсюда я уезжаю и возвращаюсь снова -It means that I use to move off from here and then come back again. It is a repeated action.

4. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Then it just means going to and fro the workplace and home in daily life.
    You know, I always fear if something special pops up in my reading.

5. willem81 Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Yes, it might mean his daily comings to the office, but also it might mean his regular departures to longer business trips related to his professional assignments. That's how I understood that quote.

6. LCP New Member

Tennessee
    U.S. English
    As reported above it is repeated action. I would translate the passage in the following way: "My newspaper. My room is on the 6th floor. My work desk and my friends are here. This is where I bring everything that I have learned and seen. This is where I am criticized and praised (This is where they criticize me and praise me). This is the place that I leave behind and come back to." I know it has a dangling preposition, but I think it is acceptable for conversation or informal language.

7. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    One minor note: I would have thrown that "is" word out. Your translation would be absolutely correct if you were translating this sentence alone. However, in the context of the surrounding sentences, this one sounds as if the author wanted to list the things and events that he remembers. Imagine him saying: "Oh those memories! My newspaper. My room there. The inkstand on the table. Heaps of paper all around. Thick smoke in the air. An old broken typewriter in the corner." That style of speech.

8. willem81 Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    As a side note. What one has also to keep in mind is that the floors are numbered differently in Russian and English. Thus, шестой этаж would mean "the fifth floor" in English since they begin to count from the ground floor which is первый этаж in Russian.

9. Colora Junior Member

USA, Denver, CO
    Byelorussian
    I leave (this place), but I keep coming back here.

10. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Actually I was thinking if the man meant at first he left that job (уезжаю) but found that it was too cowardly to give up easily and returned again (возвращаюсь снова). But the story said the editor didn't accept his resignation and sat down to counsel him, so this is not true.

If he just said "здесь я работаю", I would have no problem.

11. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    He most likely refers to his feelings when he goes from the office at night and comes back at morning. So, the meaning must be lyrical.
    You know, as is said: "за работу с новыми силами". I don't mean he meant exactly this, but this is one the ideas behind such opera (plural of 'opus'). 'I like my job very much, and my feeling gives me strength to go back to work as soon as I have some rest'.
    Just by the way, "уехать с работы" cannot even in principle mean "to be fired", "to resign from the workplace". "Уйти с работы" can and usually does.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  12. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    This is actually quite difficult to render effectively in English, wonlon. He sees his desk pretty much as the pivotal point in his life. His life revolves around it, and you might almost say his workdesk is, in fact, what gives meaning to his life.

Igusarov in post 7 gauges the (as learnerr says in post 11) "lyrical" atmosphere well, and I can't think of anything better than LCP's "This is the place that I leave behind and come back to" in post 6. "Здесь я работаю" is very flat, a statement of fact, and need not convey much about how important that workdesk is in his life.

13. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    I have an impression that he was talking about some outdoor journalist work. Perhaps they used to send him to some distant places to write about interesting events happening there. Perhaps he was even leaving his desk (or room?) for as much as several days. And this interpretation is backed up by the third sentence: "Сюда я приношу всё, что узнал и увидел".

P.S. Internet search engines can do marvels. )) This is a story about Василий Песков who, among other things, was a traveller.

Edit:
    Exactly. Every sentence emphasize the word "here": "Here is my desk... Here I bring... In here I'm being criticized... From here I leave..." He could have been refering to his room or to his newspaper at large, not only to his desk.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  14. Colora Junior Member

USA, Denver, CO
    Byelorussian
    I have a new idea, hope it will be workable with you.

I used to go from here, and then come back again

It's my newspaper! My office is on the 6th floor. There is my desk and my friends as well. Everything that I've known and I've seen I bring it over here. There I get criticized and receive kind words. I used to go from here, and then come back again.

15. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    It seems that you are trying to understand the intricacies of Russian verbal aspect basing solely on the names “perfective and imperfective”.
    I can advise you to read this: Grammatical_aspect_in_Slavic_languages in Wikipedia, as the Wikipedia article on Russian grammar hasn’t got much stuff about this.