Оценка соответствия требованию допуска при неопределённости измерений и неизвестных значениях глобального риска

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Alex_cs_gsp, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Alex_cs_gsp Senior Member

Ukraine
    Russian & Ukrainian
    I need an advice of a native English speaker. I must translate the title of my article. It has to be small in size. I've called it "Conformity assessment to the tolerance interval requirement under measurement uncertainty and unknown global risks" (Оценка соответствия требованию допуска при неопределённости измерений и неизвестных значениях глобального риска).

Could you tell how this title sounds in English?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Hi Alex_cs_gsp. It doesn't sound too good as it stands, one of the reasons being that there are too many abstract nouns. Slavic languages use abstract nouns a lot, partly because nouns decline, so it's easy to see what refers to what - соответствие (чему?), требованию (чего?), при (чём?), неопределённости (чего?). However, too many abstract nouns in English sound awkward. Fortunately we have the wonderful verb + ing construction, so your first word is probably going to be "assessing", "evaluating" or maybe even something else.

However there is another problem of choosing the right terminology, because there isn't enough context. What is the subject matter? What is being measured? Why might there be "uncertainty" (inaccuracy? variability?) in the measurement? What is the unit of measurement - are we in the realm of nano, micro, milli, kilo, mega or what? And what are these global risks - plague, tsunami, climate change? Or is "global risk" a piece of technical jargon in your context?

3. Alex_cs_gsp Senior Member

Ukraine
    Russian & Ukrainian
    Dear Enquiring Mind, thanks for your advices!

Uncertainty of measurement, and a global risk are the legal technical terms. You could find them in lots of technical normative documents.
    I didn't select any special object. I studied the measurement concerning different fields, for example, it could be a blood analysis or measurement of an item length, e.t.c. So, I would like to use abstract nouns in the title.

I've made some correction in the title. I consider the title "Conformity assessment for the requirement of a tolerance under measurement uncertainty and unknown global risks" to sound better, than the old one. Could you correct me, please, if some grammatical form is incorrect there? Will the modification "conformity assessing for..." sound better?

Thanks a lot!

4. Enquiring Mind

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Okay Alex, so it's what I call "code" English - the sort of technical language which scientists recognise, not much scope for altering the jargon, and the sentence just has to hang together properly. I think I would still start with assessing, but I suppose anything that looks like real language (rather than technical "code") might frighten the scientists, so you can keep "assessment" if you like, but it needs to come before "conformity". And you did well to omit "intervals" in the second version.

I think I'd go for this: Assessing/Assessment of conformity to tolerance requirement(s) in conditions of measurement uncertainty and unknown gobal risks.

You are the scientist, so you may not like "in conditions of". In that case you could say "with", but I would avoid "under" in this context since we're talking about "measurement". При is often difficult, but it probably doesn't matter too much how you translate it here. I guess the scientists will understand it anyway!

I suggested requirement(s) with or without the "s". If you're talking about tolerance requirements in a general theoretical sense, then plural. If you're talking about a specific tolerance requirement in one particular case or specific set of conditions, then singular.

Hope that helps.

5. Alex_cs_gsp Senior Member

Ukraine
    Russian & Ukrainian
    Thank you so much for helping me! I think your version of the article title to be the best.

6. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Don’t you think that “tolerance requirements” sounds better than “requirement of a tolerance”. Why indefinite article before “tolerance”?

7. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    All measurements are uncertain and innacurate to a certain degree. This is a law of nature.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  8. Alex_cs_gsp Senior Member

Ukraine
    Russian & Ukrainian
    Because I don't mean any definite tolerance interval (with definite values of its low and upper limits).

9. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    But also in such case I would use the noun without article, but let's wait for a native speaker.

10. Sobakus Senior Member

Seeing as this is an article title there shouldn't be any articles at all (no pun intended :))

11. Enquiring Mind

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Yep, Sobakus is right. Articles are usually omitted in titles, newspaper headlines and the like.