Первый раз осознанно

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by toutey, Jun 28, 2013.

1. toutey Senior Member

American English
    I've seen this phrase a few places, and I'd like to hear your opinions on it. It seems the most usual context where it's used is when children do something for the first time; for instance,

"В каком возрасте ваш малыш первый раз осознанно назвал Вас мамой?"

I understand this as "В каком возрасте ваш малыш первый раз назвал вас мамой, понимая, что такое 'мама' и вы -- его мама?" (We would usually just ask something like "When did your kid first call you mom?", and if we needed to specify further, we might say "The first time he called me mom knowingly / recognized I was his mom was...")

At any rate, I also saw this phrase in another, quite different context (a blog post about running):

"Первый раз осознанно сегодня выскочил на пробежку. Намотал полчаса вокруг 7-8-8а-9-6 мкрн. Ощущения отличные, думал сдохну. Ничо, жив-здоров."

To me, it seems that "Первый раз осознанно сегодня выскочил на пробежку" means he went out for a run for the first time with the express intent to run, but I'm not sure. What do you think?
  2. inerrant Member

In the frase "Первый раз осознанно сегодня выскочил на пробежку" the word "осознанно" may have only one meaning - "he went out for a run for the first time with the express intent to run", you are right. No one forced him to make that (teachers, parents, etc.), it was his own wish.

But for a kid it can have at least two meanings (it fully depends on the context):
    1) he understood what does the word "mother" mean, and understood that you are his mother;
    2) he knew the meaning of the word long before, but did not call you so before for some reason: e.g. you adopted him and he didn't apply this word to you. Or he even knew that you are his mother but prefered to call you by some other word or by your name. Or he called you his mother only when he was forced to make that, but then, for the first time, he made that of his own free will.
  3. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    You are almost correct. Just mind the difference between "намеренно" and "осознанно".
    Both words mean "intentionally". The difference in your case is that the word "осознанно" has a connotation "because of conscious decision". As opposed to any other possible reason for the action (random, subconscious, reflex, mimicking any sound, running along with a friend just because, etc). It's like the difference between "he wants to do it" and "he fully understands why he wants to do it".

Perhaps that guy was running every morning since long back. He might well had the intent to went for run all that time. But he was taking his morning run routinely, without giving it any thought, just run out of habit. And it was today that he fully understood why is he doing it, and now he means it. Say, he may have noticed that he feels better after the run, so now he has a good considered opinion to go for a run to improve his health.
  4. toutey Senior Member

American English
    Interesting; I wouldn't have guessed there could be a context like the 2nd one you described. Thanks for your input.
  5. toutey Senior Member

American English

OK, I see the difference between the two now. Thanks for the detailed explanation!
  6. YMOPA

YMOPA Senior Member

Repub de Tejas
    I'd say the difference is about as subtle as between English "on purpose" and "intentionally" if not even thinner. "Намеренно" equals "intentionally" in all aspects, "осознанно" is closer to "on purpose" because, as toutey justly illustrated, it implies a conscious choice.