1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

При этом

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Melikhovo, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Melikhovo Senior Member

American English
    Privet!

I have been having some trouble with this phrase. I hear it very often in news however, since I don't know what it means I can only guess. My attempts are that it first depends on context, but that being said, it may possibly mean "thus", "with this"… I'm not too sure but I know it is used in explanations.

Spasibo!

2. Drink Senior Member

New England
    English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    It can imply a lot of different things depending on context, but a direct translation of "with that" works in most cases. If you give some examples, I could explain what it means in that context.

3. Dendr Junior Member

Russian
    In my vocabulary it usually means "at the same time" (or "during"):
    Иван много курит, при этом не любит когда курят другие./Ivan smokes a lot, but at the same time he doesn't like when the others smoke nearby.

Sometimes it's exaggerating "while":
    Андрей бежал по парку, при этом Катя сидела у него на плечах./Andrei ran across the park while Katya was sitting on his shoulders. (that is, very important that he didn't hold her in arms, she didn't run along etc.)

Both of these could be interchanged with "with this", as you can see (sentence would be changed too, though). But "thus"... I'm trying to imagine any context, but all my eforts are for nothing.

4. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    An example is at the end of this dictionary entry. Perhaps "thus" is not the most precise translation, but it does the job sometimes. )) Other possible interpretations have been discussed here.

5. Melikhovo Senior Member

American English
    Oh now I see! Spasibo bolshoe!