Русские частицы

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Handy_Andy, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Handy_Andy New Member

здравствуйте все,
    Я собираюсь написать по-английский этот вопрос потому, что не знаю же достаточно русский язык этого.

Can Russian particles be simply placed anywhere in a sentence to express feeling/emotions or are they used more specifically. Every time I read Russian I get confused by the usage of their particles and struggle to mimic them. Particles such as: Ну, так, же, ли, вот etc. I have a basic understanding of these particles and their usages but hesitate to use them for fear it sounds awkward or not natural. Please tell me how to use these particles (and if you can think of anymore please explain those too).
  2. YMOPA

YMOPA Senior Member

Repub de Tejas
    This question is about as wide as "tell me how to use prepositions in English please". Which can be reduced to "can you teach me English (please)". In plenty of cases, those particles are classified as "parasite words" (слова-паразиты) not carrying any informational load except the information of poor command of the language. Unless you are very advanced in your studies of Russian, I would care more about inclinations, conjugations, the standard grammar. Once you are done with that, particles will come as a bonus, naturally. The sheer volume of Russian written and spoken material you have to go through doing your advanced grammar studies would guarantee that.
  3. Handy_Andy New Member

Yes, I see now the question is too wide to fully answer extensively here so I will shorten it. Should particles be avoided by those who want to sound formal and educated? So I should avoid using вот, ну, и так at all costs?
  4. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Hi Handy Andy,

Welcome to the forum.

No, sometimes they should be avoided and sometimes they can't. Please provide context (as per the forum rules) and we will be happy to answer a specific question based on a specific example.
  5. Handy_Andy New Member

Here are some examples that I can think of and my apologies for not providing examples in the first post.

вот это да!
    Ну да!
    Вот кто здесь!
    Когда же они вернутся?
    Кому же ты написали?
    Ну, довольно!
    Я уж не знаю.
    Я так хотел это.

Is the usage of the particles in these examples acceptable and are particles used more colloquially and should be avoided when using formal speech?

Спасибо Большой за помощь!
  6. Maroseika Moderator

Most of the particles can be used in formal speech. And usually particles cannot be placed anywehere in a senetence, they have their fixed place relative to other members of the sentence, althought sometimes inversion may express emotion. In more details we can discuss this referring to the concrete particle, because there is no too much common in their usage.
    By the way, вот это да is not a particle, it is interjection as a whole.
  7. tacirus Member

Hello Handy_Andy.

Particles are way to express your emotions out. So they are hardly possible to avoid in a colloqial speech.

вот это да! - is a stable expression to use as it is. To show your ultimate astonishment, amazment at something. While "Это да" is just a verbose confirmation for something, that may sound even snobby if said with an incorrect intonation.

Ну да! - "Ну" mostly shows off
    1) your happiness or eagerness to let know that he/she finally could get you right (it may sound offensive like you underestimate his thinking skills or perceptive ability);
    2) your astonishment at something that happened and you just can`t beleive it.
    (mind the right intonation for these two different meanings though.)

Вот кто здесь! - rather: "Ах вот кто здесь!". Stable expression, quite expressive, mostly used by women. A man can use it for joke as he talks to a child or his very close friends jokingly too.

Когда же они вернутся? - "же" adds to your frase a flavour of high impatiance either for informarion on the return time or for them to come back soon.

Кому же вы написали? - may express your impatiance to know who is the addressed person or add some flavour of your disaprobation. The right meaning depends on the situation and intonation.

Ну, довольно! - is rude. Used to say that he just bothers you too much!

Я уж не знаю. - when you feel lost of ways to explain obvious things (then the frase needs some continuation), or when you feel lost to imagine ways to understand or figure out something for yourself.

Я так хотел этого - intensive but not very expressive frase, just to emphasize your wish/desire

In russian the frase intonation matters! The same frase may sound different with various intonations. The context is a help too.

The topic is all too big for me to give all possible subtle shades of meaning. Kinda lazy too.

Anyway russian would lose his soul without particles and interjections .
  8. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Before I read your post I was prone to think that так was just the adverb "so" - I wanted it so much!
  9. Ёж! Senior Member

It means exactly what you say it does. Different emotions can attach, of course, not only joy or sadness.
  10. tacirus Member

Yes, it does mean "so much" in this frase, still it`s not very much emotional (you can either add some intensity with intonation or use some other frase, more expressive. Anyway to me it`s almost an ordinary way to say that you wanted something much and it`s safe for a stranger for use too.

Of course, grammatically "так" is an adverb. I didn`t just get into details.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  11. Ёж! Senior Member

Either this or that way. :) By the way, your explanation about «вот кто здесь» is also too situational: it is perfectly fine for a man to use it, unless in some restricted meanings that you probably were thinking of at the moment. For example, it can be used to say something like «Какие люди, и без охраны!».
  12. Andrean New Member

Handy_Andy, if you want, I can try to explain you these particles, but it's better to do in a voce. Without understanding them it whould be hard to read Russian classic authors and enjoy reading at the same time.
    They are always used to show intonation (see 'inwardness') of a one who speaks.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013