1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Тяжелее карандаша ничего не поднимаешь

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by wonlon, Nov 2, 2013.

1. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    This question follows from my last thread. A man found his career as a reporter. Here it comes:

Мать не могла поверить, что я могу получать деньги за "писанье". Мать и теперь говорит: "У тебя, сынок, работа нетруданая - тяжелее карандаша ничего не поднимаешь.

Mum could not believe that I can earn money (за+ acc.) because of ?? writing. Mum even?? now always says "My little son, you have an easy job ...???

1. Mainly I can't understand
    тяжелее карандаша ничего не поднимаешь.
    What does it mean?

2. (...)

3. (...)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. Honeythunder New Member

Russian
    "Тяжелее карандаша ничего не поднимаешь" (literally "you don't lift anything heavier than a pencil") means that in his mother's opinion his job is easy. "Писанье" - is sort of a verbal noun (отглагольное существительное), though it is not correctly formed (describing the professiоnal activity it should be: "писательство; the process - "письмо"). The wrong noun form emphasizes her somehow derogatory attitude towards his job (so she could not believe that he was making money doing "some writing") . There's a stereotype among elderly working class people that the term "job" (работа) has to imply physical labour. Otherwise, if you're doing some intellectual work, you're not really working hard.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013