У меня есть вопрос о тату...

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by LaCxefo, Feb 7, 2013.

1. LaCxefo New Member

English - American

I am planning on getting another tattoo in the near future. I would like it to be in Russian, and I wanted to ask you all to check my translation first. Also, I would like to know if the sentence has the same meaning in Russian as it does in English. The sentence I am would like is:

It is not important how many years you have lived. Only how much you have lived in those years.

The best I can come up with is:

Это не важно сколько лет вы жили. Только сколько вы жили в те леты.

If there is a better way of saying this, any advice would be appreciated. Again, I am not sure if the Russian translation conveys the same meaning, so please let me know your opinions on the best way of saying it.
  2. gvozd Senior Member

Oh my God... Who is supposed to see your tattoo? English or Russian speakers? If Russian speakers, you'll be laughed at, no doubt. Sorry:( Our culture doesn't imply covering body with philosophical scriptures and verses, as far as I know.
  3. LaCxefo New Member

English - American
    Sorry, that's why I wanted to ask you all before I did anything. I've seen Russians with tattoos, so I didn't think your culture was so much different than ours in that aspect. I guess I'll have to come up with another idea... thanks for the heads up.
  4. Maroseika Moderator

Вы даже не представляете, сколько приходит просьб на профильные форумы написать то или иное философическое высказывание "на латыне".
  5. Maroseika Moderator

Your Russian text is completely wrong, but I don't think this forum is a proper place for editing the product of the machine translation.
    We are trying to help here the people who really learn Russian and come here with their own Russian phrases.
  6. gvozd Senior Member

Так весь прикол в том, что эти татуировки обязательно должны быть на непонятном соотечественникам языке, разве не так? Я ни разу не видел и не слышал о татухе на русском, являющей собой бездну смысла.
  7. Maroseika Moderator

Поэтому там тату на русском, а тут - латынь и, возможно, нахуатль.
  8. SamSim-18 Member

На арабском и санскрите было модно.
    Вы латынь знаете?
  9. gvozd Senior Member

An addition: I forgot to mention one thing. Russians CAN make philosophical tattoes, but they are written in foreign languages. Mostly in Latin, I presume, but I'm not sure. Long inscriptions in our native language are not popular, for some reason, and seem silly. That are just my observations.
  10. SamSim-18 Member

Так, и что вы предлагаете?
  11. LaCxefo New Member

English - American
    I have been studying Russian for one year in college. I am sorry my Russian is not very good yet. I speak two other languages in addition to english, and as it turns out, Russian is EXTREMELY hard for native english and Spanish speakers to learn. I am sorry I sometimes have to use a translator for the words I do not know. And I do understand most of what is being said, but it is much easier for me to type in english.

No, the joke is not that it must be in an unknown language... In our culture, it is better to have a tattoo that says something meaningful than to have a random picture of something. I chose Russian because I am learning it, I think Cyrillic is beautiful, and was unaware that your culture looks down on them. Here, many Hispanic people get tattoos in Spanish, English speakers get tattoos in english, and so on. I wanted to get something that reflected both my interest in foreign language and be a meaningful saying. I didn't come to this forum to be mocked, and for you all to speak russian assuming I do not understand. Clearly, other than telling me not to get a tattoo, this is no help.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  12. Maroseika Moderator

So we are forced to accept the fact that your translation only occasionally coincided with the Google translator verbatim, except for 2 lame changes.

Anyway, please refer to the rules of this forum:

Strict limits on translation and homework help. No proofreading.
    These forums respond to specific questions about text. They do not provide free translations. They do not provide proofreading and rewriting of texts.
  13. LaCxefo New Member

English - American
    Well this is quite the useless forum. Do you happen to know of a forum which is actually treated as forum, where I can ask questions and get answers?

And for the record, I admitted to using the translator. I have ONE year of Russian. In the US, our government puts our linguists through 1.5 years of intensive 8 hour a day 5 day a week courses taught by native speakers simply to obtain a low-moderate fluency. I have only taken 3 classes. I did however date a girl who grew up in Moscow, and I do understand a good bit. My Grammar still needs much work, and my vocabulary is relativley limited. So I came up with how I would have said it, and changed it based on the translator. I still don't know what was so wrong about how I said it, but apparently I have to go to a forum where people arent so pretentious and caught up on rules. The way you all act here makes me seriously reconsider persuing Russian anymore at all.
  14. gvozd Senior Member

Nobody laughs at you, you've made this up. To get a tattoo is a very serious matter, and we must warn you about further consequences. Nobody is pretentious, we all wish you good luck:)
  15. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    This is an excellent forum, LaCxefo. People are usually very helpful, but something happens when someone mention the word "tattoo", it prompts everyone give unvanted lifestyle advice for some reason (I'm not an exception:eek:). Consider it a cultural difference. Also, sometimes "deep" thoughts that sound good in English sound stupid in Russian. Consider it a semantics difference.

Anyway. If you don't want to be a good girl and get a tatoo in Chinese characters like everyone else:), here is an option for you. It is not a literal translation but it is less wordy and sounds somewhat less daft.
    Hе важно, сколько лет ты жил. Важно, как ты прожил эти годы.
    Literally it means "It doesn't matter how many years you (informal) lived, it matters how you lived these years".

EDIT: to add some value (just in case you are at least somewhat interested in the language):
    The expression "how much you lived" (which is the basis of the "pun" you had in mind: how many years / how much), does not exist in Russian, that's why you would have to rephrase and as a result you lose the clever wording.

Also, if you remember Russian grammar, Russian does not hace the present perfect tense (you have done), so you would have to use the past tense; or you would add some wording (e.g. 'so far", "to date" etc...), but it would make the sentense even more awkward.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  16. gvozd Senior Member

And now I'm dealing with the bane of my existence - I can never say for sure whether it should be неважно or не важно.:D
  17. Maroseika Moderator

It's far not as useless as may seem, especially if you know how to cook it...
    A humble advice: come here with your own variant, and you meet here as much assistance as many other learners do. Unfortunately your only aim so far was to get the translation, which is against the rules, because this is educational resource, and not referential or anything like that.
    By the way, Russian sector of WR is one of the most liberal; if you apply with anything like that to the English Only your thread would be deleted immediately by the moderators.
  18. Maroseika Moderator

Тут у нас разгул волюнтаризма: "при утверждении они пишутся слитно, при отрицании – раздельно (критерий того и другого смысла обычно устанавливается самим пишущим)" (пар. 71, п. 5).
  19. gvozd Senior Member

...in just seconds.:)
  20. cheburashka Gena Senior Member

а кто здесь модерирует? Тоже потерли ветки за считанные секунды около часа назад. Не первый раз уже замечаю.