Через неделю

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by wonlon, Nov 2, 2013.

1. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    ...Мне, показалось, что редактор смеётся.

Через неделю мне сделали первое замечание за ошибку в газете. Ещё через месяц у меня было шесть замечаний. Больше ждать замечаний не имело смысла. Я пришёл к редактору с заявлением об уходе с работы. Редактор порвал моё заявление и сел рядом.

Translation provided by learnerr

After a week they rebuked me for the first time as I made mistake in my work. After a month more, I had collected six rebukes in my card. There was no meaning to wait for more rebukes; I came to the editor with my resignation letter. The editor tore it into pieces and sat beside me.

What exactly does Через mean?
    It sometimes translates as "in", like "Then meeting will start in an hour", but "in an hour" in English can mean "before or at the end of a particular period", i.e. the meeting can start before an hour ends.
    But через sometimes translates as "after". Then I feel confused.

2. viesis Senior Member

Russian
    "Через" (with time) can be translated as "after" or "in" depending on the context. Are you confused about how to translate "через" into English in some particular case?

3. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    Just ignore the first part of the English definition when you accept this translation. You know, translations can't always be completely accurate.

4. horace.mik

horace.mik Senior Member

Italy
    Russian and Italian - bilingual
    Hi wonlon.
    In your case, "через" means "after". For now, don't take into account the variation "in" ("within", more formal). As you said, "in" could be used to explain a time limit. Stay sure that "in" is not concerning your case. In Russian, "in" (as time preposition) can also mean "в течение", "к", "не далее", "за" and "через".
    As viesis said, it's just a matter of context.
    I'll report some examples for you where the difference between "in" and "after" will make you understand and their respective translations into Russian.
    - Holidays will start in a week. Каникулы начнутся через неделю.
    - I must repair the car in two days. Я должен отремонтировать автомобиль за два дня (не позже двух, к третьему дню должна быть готовой).
    - After a week, I've received my first reproach. "Через неделю мне сделали первое замечание".
    In a context like yours, it generally means "after".
    Take a look on this thread too, I hope it can make you understand better.

5. Colora Junior Member

USA, Denver, CO
    Byelorussian
    Either one will work: after one week or one week later
    One week later I received the first criticism of my work for making an error in newspaper.

6. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Let me try an unusual approach. :) In the context of time and space, "через" often means "skip over".
    "Позвони мне через 5 минут" - you should skip 5 minutes and then give him a call. Not before, and (most likely) not after.
    "Через 2 мили поверните направо" - you should "skip" two miles and then turn right. Not 1.9 miles, and not 2.1 miles, but exactly 2 miles.
    "Через неделю мне сделали первое замечание" - I started working at the newspaper. Skip one week time and here comes my first rebuke.
    "Ещё через месяц у меня было 6 замечаний" - Skip one more month and behold: now I have 6 rebukes on my file.

More difficult examples include periodic activities at equal intervals.
    "Я работаю через день" - I work on March 1. Then I have a day off on March 2. Then I work again on March 3. Then I skip another day and work on March 5. I work every other day.
    "Детёнышей ягуара надо кормить через каждые два часа" - you should feed the kitten, then skip two hours, then feed him again, skip two more hours, feed him again, and so on. Feed him every two hours.
    "Расставьте столбы через (каждые) 50 метров" - the poles should be installed along some path at 50 meter intervals. One pole every 50 meters.

7. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    I am confused since if the preposition is translated as "in", that will mean the event can happen earlier (not at the end of an hour, but before an hour). But as #4, #6 says (thanks a lot!:)), this is not true. Через means a gap of time, at the end of it something happens.

The main problem seems to be the multiple meanings of the English translation "in".

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  8. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Another thing is после and через, which can both be tr anslated as "after". (the thread mentioned above is all Russian discussion, I will have to check dictionary for a day to read it.)

Here is where I find a comparison:

A Comprehensive Russian Grammar, Terence Wade [Third Edition]

После means ‘after’ an event (после занятий ‘after lessons’), while через is used with words of time to denote ‘after the expiry of/in/later’, with reference to the past, present or future:
    Начнём через час We shall begin in an hour’s time. / Мы начали через час We began an hour later.

После replaces через when the time word is extended by a genitive: через год ‘after a year’, but после года разлуки ‘after a year’s separation’.

Both через and после are used in constructions which denote the temporal relationship of sequential events:
    Через восемь дней после Рождества наши начали наступление. Our lads went on the offensive eight days after Christmas.

But I really cannot get the point.

9. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Definition from your reference book seems to me exhaustive: "После means ‘after’ an event, через is used with words of time to denote ‘after the expiry of/in/later’". The same was genreally stated in the previous thread you referred to.
    Can you specify what exactly is not clear or looks confusing for you in this definition?

10. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    I've already made this very point here, and I'm happy to find I'm not alone. :) Well, with "после", the gap is filled with something, with some events that is; with "через", the gap is not filled with anything, what is important for the phrase is not the contents of the gap, but the gap itself. So, when the phrase itself refers to some contents, like separation, "разлука", then we use "после", otherwise we use "через". The last example illustrates it very well: "после" is used with the event of Christmas, but "через" is used with the eight days, whose contents are not being discussed in the phrase.

11. Colora Junior Member

USA, Denver, CO
    Byelorussian
    Yes, in this instance, we are talking about a period during which something happening at a time subsequent to a reference time
    Twenty Years After (The Three Musketeers) by Alexandre Dumas

12. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    I reviewed it again, what I have got is
    после + event
    через + time word
    Is that all?

So that
    Начнём через час.:tick:
    Начнём после часа.:cross:

после Рождества наши начали наступление.:tick:
    через Рождество наши начали наступление:cross:

I do remember what you said, but I do not understand very well without some examples.
    But I find it better to open another thread, so here this thread is.

13. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    You need to characterise the hour by some event in this very phrase in order to use "после", for example, "начнём после часа отдыха". So, the first is, "we shall begin when an hour passes", the second is "we shall begin when something that takes an hour happens", where "something" can be for example "rest", and you have to name that thing.
    Exactly.

14. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    I would say that this is 95% correct. The other 5% are those rare cases when an event strongly suggests a certain interval of time (or other media), in which case such event can be used with the word "через".

"Через три дня рождения мне будет 40" ~= "Three more birthdays and I will turn 40."
    "Через две поездки загорелся check engine" ~= "After two more trips the check engine sign came on."
    "Через две книги Джеймс Бонд снова оказался в этой стране" ~= "Two books later James Bond found himself in the same country again."

Are you confused because you would say 以后 in both these cases? Would it make sense to say that "через" could be explained as 過 (миновало), like in "一小时過了"?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  15. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian

This rule formula (in bold) is a bit confusing: "через + time word" must mean that "time word" is for the name of time interval, because you may use a time word also in the sense of the "event", for example as a name of the moment:

Начнем после часа. (= Начнем после 13.00.)
    А закончим после трех. (= Закончим после 15.00.)

So better to reformulate it:
    после + event
    через + time interval

You may also say:
    Заседание начали после часа ожидания. (окончание часа ожидания - event).
    Через час ожидания заседание наконец началось. (час ожидания - time interval).

16. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    It is often meaningless to translate an isolated preposition without context.
    One should distinguish between meaning of a word, and the usage of it in established phrases.
    Через means actually "through" or "across/over", but in different context will be translated to English using many other prepositions. If you translate it to another language, you will use another preposition, so it has little sense to make long lists of what Через “means”
    Через неделю, however, means “after a week”