Что за галима?

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Garin, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Garin

Garin Senior Member

Praha
    Czech/Czechia
    Hello,
    in the comics I am translating from English - Y: The Last Man - there is one Russian girl who wants to rescue her American friends being held hostage by an Israeli female soldier. She points her rifle on the soldier saying:
    `Suka! `Tchyo za ga`lima?!
    Since I still remember some Russian I was able to identify the first one, "сука". But I am completely lost with the other sentence. I have googled a source saying that it means "What the f**k?" but still I would like to know how is it in Russian. Could be that the transcription is incorrect. How would it be in Cyrillic?

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    It looks like the author of the comics also used some of these strange internet sources. "Tchyo za ga`lima" stands for "чё (что) за галима", where галима is the colloquial version of галиматья - rubbish. It has nothing to do with f... words.

3. Miralasa Junior Member

Russian
    Well, the slang adjective 'галимый' means 'bad', but even then that phrase doesn't make any sense to me.
    (which is not surprizing as the attempts to create russian phrases without native consultants always end in such volapük.)

4. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Голимый doesn't mean "bad", it means "pure", "genuine". Голимый бред - pure rubbish.

5. Garin

Garin Senior Member

Praha
    Czech/Czechia
    It is very difficult to thank you in Russian without a Russian keyboard but Болшое спасибо, Маросейка! :)

6. Awwal12 Senior Member

Moscow, the RF
    Russian
    I'm afriad that a sematic shift from "pure" to "bad" has mostly happened already in the colloquial Russian. You could google for the use of this word, and see unambiguous phrases like "голимый форум для первокласников", "Sonovar голимый модер", "самый галимый поисковик", "галимый внешний вид приложений" etc.
    Also even in the possible meaning "pure" it's used with a strong negative connotation only; I was unable to find any examples where it could be interpreted in a positive way.

7. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Looks like you are right - галимый in the sense of "bad" is really often used in the sense of "bad", at least in the Internet. However, голимый seems to be used in this sense much rarer, so it's possible that галимый is from галима, галиматья rather than from голимый, and maybe that is why га- instead of го-.

8. Awwal12 Senior Member

Moscow, the RF
    Russian
    To be frank, I learned about the very word "галима" from this thread only. :)
    I'm not sure we can speak about exactly separate origins of the words ("галимый" 1. and 2.); just probably blending of the meanings with the word "галима" in the second case (контаминация).

9. blind pew Junior Member

Russian
    галИмый or голИмый is a criminal slang. It means inferior, poor, lacking in value.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014