1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

бежать кого-то

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by chris00dardar, Dec 7, 2012.

1. chris00dardar New Member

Hello everybody,

I had a question about the poetical syntax and grammar of this sentence in a translation of a French poem by Verlaine: "Любовь, / Давно бегу ее в презренье молчаливом." It appears that "ее," either in the accusative or genitive case, is acting as an object (rather than a possessive--i.e., "her contempt") owing to its place in the sentence. Since there's no "от ее," it's unclear, however, though I imagine it's possible it's some kind of archaic or obsolete way of saying "бежать от кого-то." Unfortunately, the translation doesn't follow the French original directly, so there's no help there in unraveling what the meaning of "ее" is in this sentence, which is essentially my question. I would post the link to the poem in translation, but new members aren't allowed to post links... oh, well. The line seems complete in itself.

Many thanks!

2. Ahu Lee Senior Member

Moscow, RF
    Russian (Moscow)
    "Давно бегу ее в презренье молчаливом" doesn't make sense to me.

3. ThePermian

ThePermian New Member

russian
    In regular Russian that phrase could have been sounded like "Давно бегу от неё в презренье молчаливом".

The translator was a poet himself and definitely had his own weird poetical understanding of language, rhythm and style.
    If someone knows French, you can suggest your versions :) here's the original: L’Amour, je voudrais bien qu’on ne m’en parlât plus.

4. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Бежать чего-либо - избегать, удаляться от чего-либо (устар.):

...страстью безотрадной
    Татьяна бедная горит;
    Ее постели сон бежит;
    (Пушкин, "Евгений Онегин")

Судьба зовет человека ― он бежит ее призыва. [Л. И. Шестов. Шекспир и его критик Брандес (1898)]

Он теперь уже не звал более страсть к себе, как прежде, а проклинал свое внутреннее состояние, мучительную борьбу, и написал Вере, что решился бежать ее присутствия. [И. А. Гончаров. Обрыв (1869)]

In the present case I'd say it is избегать: Давно избегаю ее в презренье молчаливом.
    Бежать от would mean he is running away from her, which was hardly meant by Verlaine.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  5. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Love - how I wish that no-one ever speak(s) to me of/about it again. (without the "s", it's the subjunctive)
    Love - let no-one ever speak of it again in my presence.
    Love - let no-one speak its name in my presence (more poetic)

I think Maroseika's version "Давно избегаю ее в презренье молчаливом" sits well (poetically) with the French original.

6. Roger1 New Member

Russian
    В литературе могут быть любые! конструкции, не имеющие ничего общего с живым языком. Хуже есть только в поэзии :). поэтому "бежать кого-то" здесь красиво, уместно и даже как-то по-философски.

7. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, I agree. I personally think the original line is fine, and he most likely used a shorter word, or less common, just for the rhythm of the line.

8. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

In Russian poetry, serious authors don't use a word 'just for the rhythm of the line'. I doubt that it's possible in any other language because it's just nonsense.

9. chris00dardar New Member

Благодарю всех вас за ваши подробные ответы!