был готов

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by mateo19, Sep 17, 2009.

1. mateo19

mateo19 Senior Member

Thread split.

A question has come up. What is the difference between these three versions...?

-Я буду готов

-Я буду готовий

-Я буду готовым

I think that this is where Russian grammar becomes very hard for learners. I haven't made it to this kind of grammar yet. :p
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
  2. nniikkee New Member

These three variants are different forms of the same word, they are all translated to english as "I will be ready". The second one is incorrect, but it´s ok to say it, almost nobody´s gonna mind the mistake.
  3. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
  4. mateo19

mateo19 Senior Member

Thanks for clearing the issue up for me! I'd like to continue asking about it, though.
    I've sort of been studying pan-Slavic grammar in concerns to the instrumental case (I think they call it prepositional in Russian grammar, right?), which somehow makes a speaker use the instrumental case instead of the nominative case with a copular verb (Slovak - byť, Ukrainian - бути, Russian - быть).

So, why must one say, "Я был студентом" / "я буду студентом" yet, "Я студент" ?

I guess the verb "to be" governs the use of the instrumental case, instead of the nominative case.

But with adjectives, I can use the short form, "Я буду готов", instead of "Я буду готовым" ?

And here, which would be better?: Концерт был очень красивым or красивый?

I guess I'm just looking for some sort of descriptive rule. If my question isn't clear, I'll be happy to restate it. I'm just really looking forward to figuring out how this grammar works. And thank you in advance for all of your help! :) I really do appreciate it.
  5. Anatoli Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
    Short adjectives are complicated and they can often or sometimes be replaced with long adjectives. I think there was a thread about it. A simple answer is, both "Я буду готов" and "Я буду готовым" are OK to use.

"Концерт был очень красивым" is better than "был очень красивый" but "красивый" is usually not used with concerts.

Note that short adjectives only exist in nominative in modern Russian, except for a few set expressions or to convey an old style, which may sound rustic (видит красну девицу - from a fairy tale).
  6. estreets Senior Member

In phrases like I was a student now we use mostly the instrumental case, accusative case is rather seldom used.
    Recently these two cases meant different circumstances: the accusative case meant more stable situation, the instrumental case meant some short-time situation. Now difference has disapeared but one still can use both cases.
  7. Garbuz Senior Member

Я буду готов к экзамену, когда повторю все билеты.
    This is 100% grammatical.

? Я буду готовый к экзамену, ...
    In my opinion it is not grammatical. It sounds like a dish fully cooked. :)

The form "готовый" can be used but in a different function.
    Готовый рискнуть, он тем не менее не хотел подвергать опасности других.
  8. Ptak Senior Member

I was going to write the same... :)
  9. JosOlsen

JosOlsen Member

Español - Perú
    а, правильно ли: "Я буду готова"?
  10. viesis Senior Member

Правильно, если говорит женщина.
  11. willem81 Senior Member

It should be clarified here that instrumental and prepositional are two different declension cases in Russian.
    Instrumental - творительный падеж - кем? чем?
    Prepositional - предложный падеж - о ком? о чём?

It is possible to use instrumental in present tense but with a different verb - являться (to appear, to be) - which is a more formal synonym of the verb быть:
    Я являюсь студентом (= Я студент)
    Я буду (являться) студентом
    Я являлся студентом (= Я был студентом)

The verb являться requires instrumental case for both nouns and adjectives, and so do the verbs стать, становиться (to become).
    Я становлюсь студентом
    Я стал студентом
    Я стану студентом (= Я буду студентом)

Thus, the verb "быть" behaves more irregularly then those verbs. Hopefully, these facts will be helpful to you.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013