всё, что есть хорошего во мне

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by wonlon, Jul 2, 2013.

1. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Один писатель сказал так: "За всё, что есть хорошего во мне, спасибо женщинам!" Я с ним согласен, но ещё спасибо и детям.

If I am right, есть should mean "is" here.
    And I wonder why the genitive хорошего is used in the phrase "всё, что есть хорошего во мне".:confused:

2. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    You expected the nominative? Well, here the quantity is implied: «во мне есть много/мало хорошего». He does not say how much good his character possesses, because he does not know, but he refers to all those good traits. «Есть» means existence in this sentence.

3. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Yes, at the first glance I translated За всё, что есть хорошего во мне as "for everything that is good in me" (есть = is). If «Есть» means existence in this sentence, I still cannot get through yet.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  4. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    Yes, your translation is correct, but Russian and English use different constructions. The Russian construction is the same as «у меня есть карандаш», «на столе есть лампа» or «в чайнике есть вода». Here, formally, it is «во мне есть всё». Now, this 'everything' appears as a quantity of something, namely 'of good'.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  5. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    #2 «во мне есть много/мало хорошего».
    #4 «во мне есть всё»

I understand the above sentences, but when it is put together with За всё, что I am still not through.
    Would you extend "во мне есть всё" to include the whole clause, then I will see better how it is subordinated. :)

6. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    «Во мне есть что-то» * (mind you, I said 'formally' :) ; lit. 'there is something in me') => «всё, что во мне есть» (lit. 'everything that there is in me') => (I insert the preposition, because the verb requires it) «за всё, что во мне есть» (lit. 'for everything that there is in me'). What kind of things go to be declared existing in order to fill the set of 'everything'? Anything good! So, we attach that 'good' to the verb of existence, meanwhile measuring it, like with «много»/«мало», this is why it is in the genitive: «за всё, что во мне есть хорошего».

Notice, by the way, that this kind of genitive attached to an existential verb can appear only in a subordinated clause.

* this does not sound natural, unlike, for example «что-то во мне есть».

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013