как получится

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by turkjey5, Jan 20, 2013.

1. turkjey5 Senior Member

English - USA
    Что значит "как получится"?
    Заранее большое спасибо!

на стройке:
    -А платят хорошо?
    -Так, они платят-то своим, а мне, как получится. У них же половина все земляки, а Суслевич и бригадир, вообще, родственники.
  2. gvozd Senior Member

How much do you earn?
    Well, that depends.

Does this make sense in English?
  3. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    "Делать X как получится" means that they do X in a lazy manner, not putting any effort into it. With no obligations towards the outcome. In a manner that X is not a primary goal, but a possible side effect. X would happen only if it somehow miraculously happens all by itself.
    The most close equivalents I can think of are: "if I'm lucky", "with any luck", "as luck would have it", "as they see fit".

In this context it means that he gets his payment at random, as if only by a chance.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    In addition to "if I'm lucky" and "as they see fit" suggested by igusarov, there are a few more options in this particular context:
    -А платят хорошо? What's the pay like?/Do they pay well? (sentence stress on the bolded words)
    -Так, они платят-то своим, а мне, как получится.
    Well their own people get paid, and I get paid if I'm lucky/as they see fit/depending on my luck/if my luck's in/as and when.
  5. Maroseika Moderator

Just wanted to notice that punctuation in all this text is very bad. In particluar, the present abstract should be as follows (dashes are optional):

-- Так они платят-то своим, а мне (--) как получится. У них же половина все земляки, а Суслевич и бригадир (--) вообще родственники.

As for your question, I think it cannot mean that they pay him from time to time. The question was whether they pay well, so the sense is that to him they pay not well, i.e. sometimes more, sometimes less, but not as well as to their relatives and countrymen.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  6. turkjey5 Senior Member

English - USA
    Спасибо всем!!
  7. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Я бы сказал так: «как получится» ~= «сколько останется». В данном случае можно второе поставить на место первого практически без всякого изменения смысла.
  8. Maroseika Moderator

Вряд ли это имеет такой смысл. Откуда рабочему знать, сколько чего у хозяина остается? И как будто кто-то там рассчитывает фонд оплаты труда. Он знает только одно: ему платят по-разному - то больше, то меньше, то сколько обещали, то меньше, чем обещали, зато землякам и родственникам хозяев всегда платят сколько положено.
  9. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Ну да, то больше, то меньше. Потому что остальным платят твёрдо (свои всё-таки), а ему — исходя из меняющихся обстоятельств. Ведь есть же причины, по которым в этот месяц заплатили меньше, а в другой — больше?
  10. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    In Russian we also use the phrase "когда как". It can be used in this context too, but it has slightly different secondary sense. I'll explain a bit, just in case anyone is interested.

"Как получится" - primary meaning is that the the outcome is not controlled by the doer because the doer has chosen to take the passive role. If anything good will come - it would happen by itself. This implies that the doer is guilty: perhaps he could have paid me more, if he was interested in treating me well. There's no sound reason for not paying me other than the laziness or the ill will of the employer.

"Когда как" - means that there are good times and bad times. However it does not necessarily imply the passive role or the ill will of the doer. Bad times could well happen for reasons out of his control, despite his efforts. In this context such phrase would not imply bad attitude of the employer.

- А платят хорошо? = "Do they pay well?"
    - Как получится. Своим всегда хорошо, а мне - кое как. = "If I'm lucky. Their own people are always paid well, while I'm paid any old how."

- А платят хорошо? = "Do they pay well?"
    - Когда как. Летом клиентов много и зарабатываем хорошо, а зимой приходится затягивать пояс потуже. = "As and when. There are lots of clients in the summer time and we all make bundles. But in winter I have to tighten up my belt."