1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

кaлейдоскоп взглядов

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Sniegurochka, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Sniegurochka

Sniegurochka Senior Member

Waco, Texas
    Russian
    What would be an idiomatic translation? This will be a title of a youtube video clip. The author speaks about many views of one and the same person. I am not sure the word "kaleidoscope" is used in the sense in English. Perhaps there is a good substitute?
    Kaleidoscope of Viewpoints
    or
    A Kaleidoscope of Viewpoints
    or
    A Kaleidoscope of Views (positions? outlooks?)

2. wdata

wdata Junior Member

St.Petersburg
    Russian
    Нужно подождать, что скажет уважаемый Enquiring Mind, но лично я что-то не встречал такого использования. Мне приходит на ум только слово diversity или mosaic

3. Healer New Member

Russian
    It is about one's wealth of views on something.

4. Basalitan New Member

Russian
    Здравствуйте. На мой взгляд, в английском языке есть очень хорошее слово "variety". A variety of views (on)... дальше по тексту.

5. Sniegurochka

Waco, Texas
    Russian
    Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I am still in search, though, because, remember, it is meant as a catch title for one person's photographic memory compressed in a few minutes of video. "Variety" and "diversity" are way too analytical for that. "Mosaic" is way too static. Something dynamic and visual is needed. If it were me, I would abstract and go as figurative as "a waterfall" or something. But this is not really the author's style, which is, though emotional, yet much more contained. The word "view" also needs to be such as to capture both changing outlooks on life and their visual analogs/snapshots. So, I would personally stay with "views" rather than "viewpoints" or "perspectives." How about "a rainbow of views?"

6. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    @wdata #2, thank you, you are too kind :eek:. It's a tricky one for the reasons Sniegurochka explained, and "a rainbow of views" doesn't work for me in this context. It captures the variety, but a rainbow is also static and doesn't suggest movement or progression. If the word калейдоскоп doesn't have to be there, I'd be inclined not to translate it as a noun in English. How about "seen from all angles" or maybe "panoramic views"?

You could also post the question on the English Only forum explaining the meaning you're looking for, as you did here. Just don't write any Cyrillic, as it won't get past the eagle eyes of the mods.

7. Sniegurochka

Waco, Texas
    Russian
    Thanks to everyone! I will do just as Enquiring Mind recommends, and, in addition to your suggestions, see what anglophones think.