может, уже и встретимся на самом деле

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by wonlon, Dec 8, 2012.

1. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Hi, I am keeping myself regularly reading Russian passages in a Russian reading textbook so as to keep in touch with Russian. But it provides no translation for the entire sentence.

I have a few problems for this paragraph:

— Ну, ты знаешь, что мне с девушками трудно знакомиться. Весь день общаюсь только с компьютером, поэтому и не знаю, как с девушкой себя вести. И один мой друг по Интернету посоветовал выбрать девушку — тоже по Интернету. Она меня не видит, я — её. Так легче. Узнаем лучше друг друга, а потом, может, уже и встретимся на самом деле.

1. Так легче. Узнаем лучше друг друга, а потом, может, уже и встретимся на самом деле.
    How do you translate these 2 sentences?

2. поэтому и не знаю
    This и just means "also"? (You know и has so many uses, sometimes I am not sure.)

2. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    1. Так легче. Узнаем лучше друг друга, а потом, может, уже и встретимся на самом деле.
    Can you specify what is your difficulty with the first one? It looks pretty easy.

As for the second one, the issue may be the word order (remember in Russian it is relatively free) and ommission of some words (very common is colloguial speech). Try this: Мы узнаем друг друга лучше, а потом, может быть, уже и встретимся на самом деле. The и here plays the same role as in the sentence 2.

2. поэтому и не знаю
    The и here emphasizes не знаю, so the sentence would sound like" so I just don't know".

3. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Does it mean this?

It is easier in that way. We get to know each other better, and later, perhaps, we already?? will meet each other actually??

4. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The only note: уже here is also used for emphasis, it doesn't literally mean "already". I would either omit it or translate as "actually". So the second part of the sentence would be ...and later/then perhaps we will actually meet [each other] for real.

5. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    Also you might want to make a note that «узнаем» is the future tense of the verb:

We'll get to know each other better, and later, perhaps, we will actually have met each other outside the net.

I'm not sure if the future perfect tense works quite well here, but I'd say that as for Russian, this usage of «уже» emphasizes the upcoming time when something will have already happened. Maybe in English this kind of thing is not good to say, I don't know.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  6. Sobakus Senior Member

In English you say finally to mean the same.

7. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    Thank you, Sobakus!

8. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    If you don't tell me, I would still think that и emphasizes the word before it.
    So уже also emphasizes the word after it, right?

9. Sobakus Senior Member

Уже can emphasize the word both before or after it. It's not used for emphasis in this case, however.

10. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    No, «уже» can't emphasize words. It can emphasize situations that result from other actions and situations, quite accordingly with its direct meaning. Not that it loses the direct meaning in such cases, however. For example, in the sentence in question it means something like: 'after all those insignificant actions'.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  11. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    Then what does it mean here?

12. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    By the way, I check уже in its use of particle, the dictionary redirects me to уж.

And if it is уж и I think this quite correspond to уже и in my case:

2) (в самом деле; обыкн. уж и) really
    уж я и не знаю — I really don't know
    это не так уж трудно — it is not really [so very] difficult

13. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    Let's look at it this way. You can omit «уже» from that sentence and be left with «а потом, может, и встретимся на самом деле»: you say that the meeting may indeed happen in addition to the online conversations that happened before, here's what the extremely vague word 'emphasize' means in this case (by itself it means almost nothing). This way you add an explicit logical link to your speech by restating that the online conversations indeed took place before, the real meeting is not a sole and independent event.

Now you can add «уже» back and strengthen the link of what is said now to what has been said before by explicitely stating that the possible meeting in the real world would be a consequence of the conversations in Internet, their logical completion. Compare: «Я уже сыт» — the person is saying that he is full now for the reason that he has been eating just before, ie he is already full; not just full, but already full.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012