общаться вживую

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by x-yuri, Jan 16, 2013.

1. x-yuri Member

Russian - Ukraine
    I wonder, how to emphasize, that communication happens, say, in real life, when you are in the same place and see each other, not over the Internet. Also, are there other ways to stress that you're communicating over the Internet, except for "I'm chatting over the Internet"? Or how to put it the other way around?

In fact, you're welcome to suggest variants for both English and Russian languages, with English being the preferred one though. Thank you!
  2. Avanpost Member

Try asking on the English forum. Здесь говорят по-русски)
  3. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    It depends on the context, but some options could be:
    face to face
  4. x-yuri Member

Russian - Ukraine
    It's just that I didn't know how to say that in English the moment I started a thread. Thanks for the tip anyway.

I now really understand that it depends on the context. The first phrase which came to my mind was "Давай встретимся и поговорим". How would you say that in English?

As far as I understand, possible use case for "face to face" is "Yesterday I talked to him face to face". What would be the use case for "live" then? After some googling I've found the following phrase: "I was speaking live on BBC3 Counties Radio this morning..." It indicates live broadcast, not face to face communication. Are there any other use cases?

Also, I've found the following thread, "talk face to face" or "talk in person" seems like the way to go so far.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  5. turkjey5 Senior Member

English - USA
    in real time
  6. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
  7. x-yuri Member

Russian - Ukraine
    I doubt if it implies face to face communication. I suppose it comes from IT world and it either means speaking live (unprepared) or having a chat when you get reply immediately as opposed to chatting on a forum for example. In other words the latter is contrastive (see the title: Talk with your users in real time). Similarly to speak/speak in. That's what I think. I'm in no way a native speaker, you know.
  8. x-yuri Member

Russian - Ukraine
    well, it seems all this phrases are contrastive. I meant talking in real time contrasts exchanging letters for example with chatting over Skype.
  9. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    One more for the pile: offline
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  10. dePrades Senior Member

Catalan and Spanish - Catalonia
    I would just say "Let's meet and we have a chat". I think that if you don't specify "let's meet on FB", it is implied that you men "face to face".
  11. x-yuri Member

Russian - Ukraine
    I wouldn't say that. Too good to be true :)

"Let's meet and have a chat" you say? I doubt if literal translation is okay for this phrase.
  12. Sobakus Senior Member

"Let's meet in real life" is my suggestion. It implies you two having a history of communication over the Internet though. Real life is how people usually refer to the real world on the Internet.
  13. x-yuri Member

Russian - Ukraine
    Exactly, the only thing left to be done is to get rid of this implication ;)
  14. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Yes, meet/talk face to face or in person are right, and mean the same thing.

If you speak live ([laiv] not [liv]) on the radio, the radio is broadcasting your words in real time as you say them. Your words are not pre-recorded or edited. It doesn't mean face to face. You can speak live on the radio over the phone, or from a studio where there's only you and the microphone. If you speak to face to face with someone, the person or people you are speaking to are physically present in the same place as you.

BBC Three Counties Radio: (Not BBC3): It's a BBC local radio station that covers three counties - Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013