1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

почему и зачем?

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by alibabushka, Jan 7, 2013.

1. alibabushka Junior Member

russian
    Доброго времени суток!

Скажите, пожалуйста, в чем по-вашему разница между "почему" и "зачем"? Спасибо!

2. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Почему?=отчего?
    Зачем?=для чего?

Почему ты не пришёл? Странно было бы услышать: "Зачем:cross: ты не пришёл?"

3. alibabushka Junior Member

russian
    Спасибо за ответ!

4. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
  5. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, it is all true how the words are defined, but I personally think there is no real difference -- how they are actually used in real life.

6. er targyn Senior Member

Как отличите, с пробелом было сказано или без? :)

7. er targyn Senior Member

Why? There is a difference.

8. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Not, really. They are often used interchangeably, although their etymology is different. Sort of like: Why and what for. Sometimes one sounds (intuitively) better than the other, but I cannot imagine any grammatical rules that would govern that. The first one may be a question about the reason (in more contexts), whereas the second one about the purpose, but not always.

9. er targyn Senior Member

Often, but not always. Many people make this mistake because they're not Russian natives.

10. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    No grammatical rules.
    Почему? — вопрос о причине действия.
    Зачем? — вопрос о цели действия.

The difference is semantic.
    Загляните. I'm afraid this is obligatory unless you know each other rather well and have agreed to address each other in the singular form (which doesn't happen more often than does — yes, we're cold). :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  11. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian

No, I did not mean non-Russian natives, or rather people who do not know Russian well. Just listen how they are used in real life -- often interchangeably. I agree that sometimes only one sounds right, but it is more something based on intuition than real rules, I think. You cannot infer the difference from translating the word into some artificial English equivalents. I would never analyze the language of the people who don't know Russian well -- for this purpose. :)

12. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    What you're telling about is just usual for any words with close, but different senses: sometimes one can be used instead of another only with a "secondary" change in meaning. All I have to say is that, while the reason says there's something in common between them, the intuitive knowledge of a native speaker urges me to state that we feel these words are very different. :) It's the feeling.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  13. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Could you briefly describe the difference -- just exactly as you experience it, please, because I am not sure what you have in mind (other than what I said that the first one usually indicates the reason, and the second one the purpose). It is obvious that different words are slightly different, even if just from the phonetic point of view. These two are often interchangeable, though, in many contexts.

14. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    In my view, this is not usually, but always. The other thing is that sometimes the reason (here: «причина») implies the purpose («цель») or the other way around, and so the words can be used as substitutes for one another in certain contexts. I'd say, the difference is generally quite important and felt very well.

15. er targyn Senior Member

Partial semantical overlapping, right?

16. alibabushka Junior Member

russian
    Спасибо всем большое. Я еще новичок на форуме, поэтому не догадалась поискать в архиве. Я, так называемый, нейтив-спикер, но когда дело доходит до объяснения моим ученикам таких тонкостей, я теряюсь, не могу вспомнить примеры и тд и тп

17. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Thank you. Yes, I agree, I can feel it, I am just not sure if I can think of any rule for that, other than, you just know when to use each of them, and in many cases they are interchangeable.

18. nnuemad New Member

Russian
    Зачем пошел.
    За хлебом.
    Почему?
    Потому что голоден.(хочу есть)
    -------------------------

19. alibabushka Junior Member

russian

20. er targyn Senior Member

Не зачем а за чем. Или, по-вашему, нет разницы?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  21. er targyn Senior Member

Новость: "Японские эксперты узнали, зачем человек моргает, на самом деле". Опять зачем вместо почему. Это тенденция. ?
    Или тут есть разница?

22. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Разница есть. "Зачем" подразумевает, что моргание - небессмысленная функция. "Почему" означало бы, что функция моргания нам в принципе непонятна, мы бы просто пытались выяснить причину. Как-то так.