прывастраючую (Belarusian)

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by tishtash, Jan 8, 2014.

1. tishtash New Member

English - Ireland
    Hi!

I'm translating an archaeological text from Belarusian to English for my research - this is my first time translating from Belarusian but I have a good knowledge of Russian. I'm stuck on the word прывастраючую - unfortunately its meaning is quite crucial to me! This is the sentence:

У падаўляючай большасцi мiкрапласцiны Бiручага Логу, акрамя крутой рэтушы па аднаму краю, маюць дробную прывастраючую рэтуш на процiлеглым i плоскую рэтуш на канцах з боку брушка.

I would translate it as "On the overwhelming majority of bladelets from Biryuchiy Log, other than the steep retouch on one edge, there is fine ********* retouch on the opposite edge and flat inverse retouch on the ends." (Inverse has a specific technical meaning in this context, if you're wondering).

So - прывастраючую! (I guess it's in the accusative?) I'm wondering whether it means something like "sharpening" or "blunting"?

Many thanks!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hello tishtash, I'm not Belarussian but I think that this adjective comes from вострый (sharp), so прывастраючую is the accusative and means sharpening indeed (I'm not a photographer either so I don't know the proper terms :)).

3. tekton61 New Member

Ukraine
    Russian, Ukrainian
    Я предполагаю, что слово "прывастраючую", означает в данном контексте "заостренную" (возможно, в оригинале написано ошибочно). Если перевести на русский, это будет буквально :"Кроме крутой ретуши по одному краю, имеют мелкую заостренную ретушь на противоположном и плоскую ретушь на концах с нижнего бока". Я, конечно, не уверен в точности перевода, нужно смотреть по контексту.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. ryba

ryba Senior Member

Hi, tishtash, welcome to the forum!

Прывастраючы looks like the present participle of the verb прывастраць, which, in turn, sounds like a synonym for завастраць 'sharpen (make sharp)' (present participle: завастраючы 'sharpening') and падвастрыць 'sharpen (make sharper)'. The prefix пры- must convey а shade of meaning along the lines of 'give sth (some of) the quality of (+ ADJECTIVE)', 'make more (+ ADJ., here: 'make sharper')'.

I couldn't find прывастраючы on Google. Similarly, neither прывастраць nor its perfective form прывастрыць get any Google hits, but that doesn't surprise me. Its Polish counterpart przyostrzający doesn't get any either, przyostrzać gets only five, and only przyostrzyć gets several thousand. And yet, both прывастраючы and przyostrzający are perfectly transparent to a native speaker (and, thus, perfectly usable), of that I'm sure.

From востры. ;)

Добрага дня.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  5. tishtash New Member

English - Ireland
    Thank you so much to everyone who answered! Yes, I thought it meant "sharpening" but I wanted to check with some people with better knowledge than me (basically, I disagree with the author of the Belarusian text that it is "sharpening" retouch on these particular artefacts, so before I wrote anything about that in my thesis I wanted to be sure I'd understood properly!)

6. tishtash New Member

English - Ireland
    Ahhh, I do love the endless creativity of Slavonic word-formation but sometimes it can be a bit nerve-wracking for the non-native speaker! :) Dziękuję!