1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ранее, раньше - позднее, позже

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by dePrades, Dec 17, 2012.

1. dePrades Senior Member

Catalan and Spanish - Catalonia
    Hello,

I think that in most cases the comparative for the adjective and the adverb have the same form. For example, труднее is the comprative form for трудный and трудно, am I right?

But I have some problems with the comparative in the title of this thread... and I can't get the answer from the dictionaries. In both cases seems to exist a regular and an irregular form but I can't get to know when I should use one or the other.

1) Let's start with ранее, раньше

According to Lingvo ранее=раньше and раньше is сравн. ст. от рано (earlier) ... Then, which is the comparative form for ранний? Can we use both? Is there any difference in meaning?

2) And it gets worse with позднее, позже.

According to Lingvo позднее means "later on", according to WR позднее сравн. нареч. от по́здно and according to my teacher it can't be used as a comparative. From this, I deduce that позднее means "later" and can't be only used as an adverb... but then I found in Lingvo that позже is
    сравн. ст. прил. см. поздний and сравн. ст. нареч. см. поздно. Are позднее and позже synonims and both can be used as an adverb meaning "later"?

Again and again, thanks for your help. Russian woul be much more difficult without this forum ;)

2. turkjey5 Senior Member

English - USA
    рано is an adverb: Встать рано (to get up early)
    ранний is an adjective: раннее детство — early childhood

более ранний

Yes: ПОЗДНЕЕ — 2. нареч. То же, что позже (Толковый словарь Ожегова)

3. theigel New Member

Russian
    Mind the difference between раннее (neutral for adj. ранний, e.g. раннее детство) and adverb ранее (=раньше, but is mostly used in rather formal speech).
    Позднее is surely a synonym for позже, but it's rarely used.

As concerning труднее and similar forms, they are in fact comparative forms of corresponding adverbs, not of adjectives. So you only use them when they are a part of predicate. E.g. you can say "моя новая работа сложнее, чем старая", but "мой друг делает более сложную работу, чем я".

4. dePrades Senior Member

Catalan and Spanish - Catalonia
    Thanks for your explanations guys... but I'm not grasping it. Here come my problems:

According to this раннее and более ранний will be both adjectives in the comparative form, am I right?

Is not раннее similar to труднее and it is used as a part as Noun Phrase at раннее детство? According to what I understood from your explanations we should say более ранний детство but it sounds awful to me :(

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    No.
    Раннее - более раннее - наиболее (самое) раннее (early - earlier - the earliest)
    Рано - ранее, раньше

Позднее - более позднее - самое позднее
    Поздно - позднее

Умное - более умное - самое умное
    Умно - умнее

Some people think there are two troubles in Russia - fools and roads; but other think there are three: тся/ться, не/ни and н/нн.
    Рано is untypical adverb, because it's н is a part of the stem. Nevertheless its comparative form forms by adding ending -ее. Рано - ранее, трудно - труднее, умный - умнее.
    Более раннее детство is quite normal.

6. turkjey5 Senior Member

English - USA
    Another to way to look at it: the soft-ending adjectives давний, поздний and раниий have hard ending adverbs давно, поздно and рано. Note that whereas раниий has double н, рано has only one.

7. theigel New Member

Russian
    ранний, not раниий