1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"скорее" в контексте, в следующем предложении:

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by mackleward, Feb 2, 2013.

1. mackleward New Member

English
    Здравствуйте, всем:

I apologize for speaking in English, but my Russian is extremely rusty. I'm looking to get back into it, after a decade's absence.
    I hope someone can help. I'm confused about the use of the word "скорее" in the following sentence (I apologize for the last verb being a vulgar one!!)

Странный скорее мужик за кадром, а кот скорее охуевший

It is a comment taken from a video where a man (unseen) behind a camera is making weird noises at an odd-looking cat. The cat is unnerved by him and creeps away.

I understand the general gist of the sentence ("strange man behind the scenes, and cat freaks out"), but what exactly does скорее mean in each instance? They seem to be different uses- the first being an adjective quantifier ("rather", as in "rather/quite/a bit/significantly strange") and the second an adverb ("soon", as in "the cat freaks out immediately").

Огромная благодарность!

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    The forst cкорее refers to странный, and the second - to the last word (which is not a verb, but a participle), and both of them mean "rather".
    By the way, both скорее should be separated by commas as a parenthetical word; and this would make the sentence clearer.

3. mackleward New Member

English
    Огpомное спасибо, Maroseika.

I copied and pasted the phrase from a youtube comment. I wasn't aware of the commas but the vulgar verb was originally spelled erroneously with an 'a', and I corrected that to an 'o'. I'm guessing it was the fabled Padonkaffsky jargon.

So, the sentence should be thus?

Странный скорее, мужик за кадром, а кот скорее, охуевший

4. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Странный, скорее, мужик за кадром, а кот, скорее, охуевший:)

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Сommas must be from both sides of скорее, this is called выделение. Вводные слова и предложения выделяются запятыми.

And this phrase has nothing to do with Padonkaffskiy jargon, just an obscene word in normal speech. By the way such words should be marked with :warn: at this forum.

6. mackleward New Member

English
    gvozd и Maroseika, Большое спасибо.

With regards to Padonkaffsky jargon, I meant the spelling of obscene word, whereby it is spelled how it is pronounced.

7. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    It might be just illiteracy (taking into account missed commas).