сорак минит после... ?? [сорок минут после ..]

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by mkrzeminski89, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mkrzeminski89

mkrzeminski89 Junior Member

Polski
    Hello everyone!

Is it correct to say in Russian "сорак минут после третьего" (15:40) or should I say "сорак минут четвертого" ? I'm slightly worried that the former is a direct calque from my mother tongue :p

Cheers!

2. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Interesting.:) Our way of thinking in this case is the same as in English. We would say: "Без двадцати четыре".

3. Wats New Member

Russian
    "Сорок минут четвертого" is correct also.

4. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Да? А пятьдесят две минуты шестого?

5. morbo Senior Member

Русский
    "Часы показывали сорок минут четвертого." Паустовский
    "Сорок минут третьего. — Подождем немного, — сказал профессор Томсон." Беляев

Стоит отметить, что чаще всего встречается в советской литературе и публицистике.

6. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Why a calque from Polish? You don't say forty minutes after fifteen (literally) do you?. Perhaps only fifteen forty. The same can be done in Russian.

7. mkrzeminski89

Polski
    That's precisely how we say it in Polish... Czterdzieści po piętnastej (forty after fifteenth). Of course there are many ways to say this. We could also say pietnasta czterdzieści (fifteenth forty) or Za dwadzieście czwarta (twenty to four). None of my handbooks lists сорак минут после третьего as a possible option in russian. That's why I'm asking :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  8. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    No, this isn't standard Polish. I have never heard anything like that in my life having spoken native level Polish for at least forty years. I think I have to post it in the Polish forum.

9. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Сорок.

10. mkrzeminski89

Polski
    Hah... if you really think you speak better polish then I... :D We use this construction all the time. Piętnaście po dziewiątej - 9:15 or even reduce it to simple piętnaście po assuming that the person asking for the time knows the hour. I was born and bred in Poland, Warsaw, educated at the University of Warsaw and I hear this construction from all my colleagues, lecturers, simply everywhere. I assure you that this is standard Polsih. It may sound strange to your ears but that does not make it incorrect ;) Please also mind that all languages change all the time, whether we want it or not. Do you know Polish from your mother only? Have you spent any time in Poland? If you have you would surely heard that construction.

Cheers!

11. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    35 минут is the last time that seems to me natural to use in such constructions: 35 минут шестого. Maybe because без двадцати пяти шесть is somewhat ponderous.
    Besides, без двадцати шесть and без двадцати минут шесть are equally natural, while сорок шестого is clumsy (save of very special context), only сорок минут шестого makes sense.

So in most cases, I guess, people say без двадцати (минут) шесть rather than сорок минут шесть.

12. estreets Senior Member

Russian
    I agree with Maroseika, сорок минут четвертого sounds akward or at least archaic or obsolete. What was good for Paustovsky is not good now.
    Most people say без двадцати четыре.
    So, the right half of the clock-face implies the phrase x минут четвертого, the left half implies без х (минут) четыре.