1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

стеклянный, оловянный, деревянный

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by dima_david, Feb 25, 2007.

1. dima_david Junior Member

New Mexico
    Russian
    Interestingly, in Russian the word стеклянный (steklyannyj) is one of the three exception (the other two being оловянный olovyannyj "made of tin" and деревянный derevyannyj "made of wood") from a rule that states that the adjectives with -ян-, -ан-, -ин- (yan, an, in) are always written with one "н" (n) (e.g. серебряный serebryanyj). It's a very well known rule, most people remember these three words said together from middle school. I wonder what the origins of it are.

2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    There are some in Polish too (though, we aren't taught them as exceptions, well at least I wans't):
    ranny - раненый
    staranny - тщательный

Tom

Edit: ranny can also mean morning which translates into Russian as утренний, another exception?

Edit2: Jana, I think we need a separate thread for this topic since we're straying off the main subject. :)

3. dima_david Junior Member

New Mexico
    Russian
    Thomas, thanks, very interesting. In Russian there is ранний, meaning "an early one", e.g. "Ранняя пташка червячка ест" - The early bird gets the worm.

As to раненый, раненный, that's a more complicated story, since these words are formed from a verb. I don't remember all the rules now, I think it should have two "н"s only if it does not stand before a noun.

Sorry for polluting the thread, I thought the note about the original word would be interesting to the gentleman from Argentina, but, of course, it is way off the subject now.

4. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Nothing complicated at all: the former is the adjective or the noun, the latter is the participle, that's why the difference in "н" number.