с утра позавтракал, и день свободен.

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by turkjey5, Jan 4, 2013.

1. turkjey5 Senior Member

English - USA
    Здравствуйте!
    Что значит " с утра позавтракал, и день свободен"?
    Заранее большое спасибо!!

2. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    If you eat in the morning, you have the whole day for yourself (free).

3. Vektus

Vektus Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    I know another one though I've never heard any of them said in my presense :)
    С утра поел - весь день свободен.
    I suppose it says about the importance of having breakfast as it makes the rest of your day... Though I'm not sure whether I'll ever use it.

4. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I think it refers more to not having enough food. ;)

5. Valvs Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    It is joke based on another, better known joke: "С утра выпил/напился - весь день свободен". I think it was used in one of popular comedies of the Soviet era, but my memory may be tricking me. The original joke referred to the fact that you were not allowed to work when drunk, so if you, for some reason, had a drink in the morning, you could just as well call in sick or something like that, because if you arrived to work drunk, you would not be allowed to work that day anyway. So, "You have a drink in the morning, you have the day to yourself".
    The version with eating is just a jocular variation.

6. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    As far as I know original was: C утра напился - весь день свободен, с утра не выпил - весь день пропал. But the sense I think was different: once one got drunk from the very morning, he doesn't need to look to drink the rest of the day. Morning here means 11 a.m.., the time when alcohol was allowed to sell in the USSR.
    Only in this case parapfrase with eating makes sense: once you took some food in the morning, you don't need to waste time for eating all day long.

7. Garbuz Senior Member

Russian
    a) С утра позавтракал - sounds odd to me. I agree with Vektus. Should be "с утра поел".
    b) С утра напился - весь день свободен, с утра не выпил - весь день пропал. Interesting! First time I've heard it. Maroseika, probably, has little experience in this pastime. :) It's only drunks that start their morning with drinking. And once they have had a glass, they wouldn't stop. So there's no way for them not to look for another drink during the day.
    c) I think the joke is that drinking is looked upon as man's duty. First do what you ought to do and then you can do whatever you like. If you fail to do your morning duty, the whole day will go wrong.

8. mumblazer Junior Member

Russian
    Agree with LilianaB that "с утра позавтракал и день свободен" refers to not having enough food (and money). To me, it means that after some unfortunate person has had breakfast, he/she can't hope for another meal during the day and so has to do something to get food. A joking allusion to "с утра напился, etc." makes this sad situation look funny as if to show that this guy takes it easy. Another probable joking allusion is to the Soviet era and may mean that whereas in Soviet days a man could start a day with a drink, today he can't even dream of it because he does not have basic necessities, like food.

9. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    If one is in the drinking bout - yes, he cannot stop looking for more drinking. But normally and with the lack of money morning drink solves the problem maybe not for the whole day, but for a good piece of it. At least this is how I understand this saying. Just remember the knots of sufferers right before 11 a.m.: they are not going to drink the whole day, just do not have means for that.