1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

так можно и забыть, что ты собака, и оленем не стать

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by wonlon, Jan 16, 2013.

1. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    It is a very short story called "Собака и Олени" in my Russian reading book. And I have a problem in the last sentence.

The story is about a dog who wanted to run as fast as a deer. She asked the deer and the deer advised that she could do that if without a tail. The dog then tore away (оторвала) her tail and here it goes ...

Но и без хвоста она тоже не могла быстро бегать. Только тут она поняла, что не надо слепо верить чужим словам:так можно и забыть, что ты собака, и оленем не стать.

Let me translate myself:

But even without a tail she could not run fast. Only then she understood that it was not necessary to blindly believe in other people's words: ?? can forget that you are a dog, and ?? not become a deer.

I cannot make a good understanding of так можно и забыть and which word не стать follows. Please advise.:)

2. morbo Senior Member

Русский
    Only then did she understand that *one should not* blindly believe other people's words, because in doing so one risks not only falling short of becoming what he desires to become (a deer), but also forgetting his true self (a dog) in the process.

3. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

If you act this way, you can forget that you are a dog and not become a deer.

4. Fortunio Senior Member

Moscou
    russian
    Можно сделать одновременно две вещи: и забыть, и не стать (два "и" подчёркивают одновременность двух действий)
    Вот пример похожей фразы:
    Так можно и английский не выучить, и русский забыть.
    Так можно и английский выучить, и русский не забыть.
    Успехов.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    How could I have been so stupid to believe in what other people say. This is the sense of the whole sentence in this contense. (How could I have been so stupid, how could I have forgotten that X is impossible -- just the phrase alone.) How could I have forgotten that a woman cannot run faster than man, sort of. (The rest is about some natural determinism among the species, often found in Russian fables). How is it possible at all to forget such a natural truth. .

6. Sobakus Senior Member

You must have misread the sentence. There's no question there.

7. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, you are right -- I just commented on the last part of the sentence, but the sense is the same, except in the imperative. By listening to other people, you can even forget that you are a dog, and you will never turn into a donkey.(I love Russian literature). (I took тaк for как -- this would turn it into a question)

8. wonlon Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese - Cantonese
    I got the meaning, thx a lot. :)
    This sentence does not involve difficult structures, but just in such instances a foreigner sometimes cannot catch the meaning.