я не видела ни одного русского человека, чтобы он не умел гр

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by mrfreddo555, Dec 7, 2012.

1. mrfreddo555 New Member

English - England
    я не видела ни одного русского человека, чтобы он не умел грибы собирать Any translations??

2. moonlight7 Senior Member

I have never seen a Russian that doesn’t know how to collect mushrooms.

3. wdata

wdata Junior Member

St.Petersburg
    Russian
    I would prefer "to gather mushrooms" in this context. I don't think anybody wants to have a collection of dried mushrooms :D It seems there are people who really collect mushrooms, but Russians normally gather them for food.

4. moonlight7 Senior Member

Согласен. Спасибо за уточнение!

5. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I'd say pick (if you want to emphasize the process of getting them) or select (if you want to emphasize the process of distinguishing edible vs. inedible). As mentioned above, collect makes me think of assmebling a collection; gather sounds awkward to me, but I can't explain why, better ask the natives.

6. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I would personally say: to pick mushrooms. (would only really use pick in relation to mushrooms). I have heard "collect mushrooms", but is sounds very formal. It may also mean something else, in a different context.

7. turkjey5 Senior Member

English - USA
    :tick::tick:

Gather sounds too vague as to where or how you would be gathering them. You could gather them from the store shelves, from a friend's basement, or if they were somehow strewn about the kitchen.:D In other words, if the mushrooms were laying somewhere, you could gather them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  8. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    I have read once in a newspaper of people who hunted for mushrooms in a forest after their aircraft's crash landing; actually I don't know if it sounds special or not. :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  9. moonlight7 Senior Member

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 7:
    [] hunt (for sth)
    (...)
    2. to look for sth that is difficult to find SYN search : I’ve hunted everywhere but I can’t find it. She is still hunting for a new job.

10. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    Thanks! :)

11. Ahu Lee Senior Member

Moscow, RF
    Russian (Moscow)
    Yep, sounds funny to us Russians. :D

There's a wiki article named "Mushroom hunting" too ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_hunting )
    Here's what it says:
    "Mushroom hunting, mushrooming, mushroom picking, mushroom foraging, and similar terms describe the activity of gathering mushrooms in the wild, typically for eating."

12. moonlight7 Senior Member

Still there is also a similar Russian term for this: "тихая охота".

13. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    :eek:
    Never heard of that, although I grew up in a family of avid mushroom pickers/hunter-gatherers/collectors/foragers...

14. moonlight7 Senior Member

Check it in Google if you don´t believe me.

15. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Don't worry, I believe you: one can find anything in Google. I was just sharing personal experience.