1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

בין הצלילים

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by OsehAlyah, Aug 26, 2013.

1. OsehAlyah Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    English(USA), Russian
    I hear this expression in many many songs and would like to know what it means.
    I'm not sure if I can post links to shironet.mako.co.il, but doing a search for this expression there will yield a whole lot of hits. :)

תודה מראש

2. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Its pretty much like בין השורות.

3. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    It means "between the sounds"

4. OsehAlyah Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    English(USA), Russian
    Asking what בין השורות means was going to be my next thread. ;) :)

Thank you tFP but I knew what the literal translation was, before I posted the question. The expression appears so often in songs that I thought it would have some other meaning

5. Tararam Senior Member

Hebrew
    לקרוא בין השורות = "to read between the lines" = to understand something/to reach a conclusion from something that wasn't explicitly mentioned.
    There's another version of the expression using the Aramaic word for שורות which is "שיטין".

It can be used without "לקרוא" as well:
    "בין השורות הוא אמר שהוא לא מעוניין" = "He didn't explicitly say he wasn't interested, but I understood that listening to him."

"בין הצלילים" could mean the same thing figuratively, if not literally describing something which is "between the sounds/notes".

6. OsehAlyah Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    English(USA), Russian
    OK just realized something. The phrase I was hearing was בין הצללים and not בין הצלילים. :D
    Which literally translates to Between the Shadows. Which I'm guessing means. Incognito, unnoticed, ignored and such
    Is that about right? Anything I missed?

7. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    About right.