1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

בלורית

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by airelibre, May 12, 2013.

1. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    I can't find a meaning for the word בלורית (other than a fringe of hair, which doesn't seem to apply) as found 3 times in the following history:
    http://www.yosmusic.com/article.asp?id=7766&xyz=100

"לא עמד בדיוק בתקן 'יפי הבלורית והתואר, נעבכי, אאוטסיידר"

"ניסה בשיר לעדכן את אתוס הבלוריות של 48 לטובת אתוס חדש"

"...בין סיפור גבורה קלאסי של הגיבור הישראלי יפה הבלורית לבין..."

What does it mean in those contexts?

Edit: I actually think I've figured it out now, but you can still confirm this for me. יפה הבלורית is the generic counterpart to this unlikely antihero soldier (Eliphelet), he is the handsome soldier with the fringe (cool hairstyle etc.) who is the more obvious hero archetype.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  2. Tararam Senior Member

Hebrew
    Yeah, יפה/יפי הבלורית is part of the Israeli ethos referring to the young, handsome (with great hair) men who defended Israel in war times (and usually died). "בלורית" means "forelock" apparently... I had no idea what it was called.
    Eliphelet is indeed the antithesis of "יפה הבלורית".

Good old Alterman.

3. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Well yeah, forelock is new to me too! I think that it applies mostly to horses though. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

4. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    Indeed. בלורית is a fringe of hair that is (or was) seen as an ideal of handsomeness. It's most famous expression, I think, is in Haim Guri's poem הרעות (the comradeship), a sort of cannonical poem of the 1948 generation who fought the War of Independence. The poem is also sung in memorial services, and it's chorus goes as follows:

אך נזכור את כולם
    את יפי הבלורית והתואר –
    כי רעות שכזאת לעולם
    לא תיתן את לבנו לשכוח.
    אהבה מקודשת בדם
    את תשובי בינינו לפרוח.

Look at photos of Ariel Sharon of that time, and you will see that handsome בלורית.

5. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
  6. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    I see, nice to know there's a name in Hebrew for my hairstyle, cos as far as I now there isn't one in English!