1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

גָּבֶר

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by airelibre, Apr 19, 2013.

1. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    ״הִנֵּה כִי-כֵן, יְבֹרַךְ גָּבֶר-- יְרֵא יְהוָה״

This is from psalm 128 (תהילים קכח) and I'm assuming it means the same as gever. Why is it gaver? Is it pausal form (what is the Hebrew for "pausal form"?) or something else?

thanks

2. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Pausal form indeed.

3. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Not doubting you, but how do you know, since they don't occur in modern spoken language? Do pausal forms follow certain patterns? Just wondering if I can avoid having to ask every time I see a strange looking word.

Also, what is the Hebrew for pausal form?

4. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    pausal form = צורת הֶפְסֵק

In Biblical Hebrew the pausal form usually goes with certain cantillation marks, as Sof Pasuk, Etnahta or Zaqef, but also with "lesser" marks, and there are exceptions and irregular forms. Pausal forms in modern Hebrew are usually used in fixed expressions and names.

You can check this site (in Hebrew), which lists the Mishqalim that can have a pausal form: https://www.safa-ivrit.org/history/bible_hefsek.php.

5. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Actually they do occur as ystab's link demonstrates. Most of them are idiomatic or frozen and yet a modern Hebrew speaker is likely to know this phaenomenon intuitively, even before learning the Bible as we all do in school.

6. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Thanks for the help.

7. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    The title of this thread has changed to gaber (dagesh in the b), how come?

Edit: no problem, it must just be a formatting issue, the dagesh is supposed to be on the g I think.

8. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    It's right in the middle of the opening of the gimel on my screen, exactly where it should be. Either a moderator fixed it in the hour since your post or there's a problem with how your computer/font/etc. display it.

9. amikama

amikama sordomodo

ישראל
    עברית
    It's the latter (display issue).