1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

הישוי

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Isidore Demsky, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
    Does anyone know what the name הישוי means?

2. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Context?

3. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
    What do you mean, "context"?

It's a Hebrew name, and Hebrew names have meanings.

Like "Michael" means "who is like El?"

Do you know what הישוי means?

4. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    This is not a name i have ever encountered or heard of.
    either you got it wrong or is a borrowed name.

5. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Context can also be how you came across the name.

I have found this from a google search:
    הישו"י = הישועת ישראל
    The saviour/redeemer of Israel

Not exactly a name though.

6. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
    The name appears twice in Numbers 26:44.
    Some sources say it means "he resembles me," and others say it means "he will justify me," and I'm not clear on whether it's a statement or a question (like "Who is like El?," or in this case, "does he resemble me?," or "he will justify me?.")

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's Hebrew, it does appear in the Torah, and I'd like to know what it means (if anyone here can help me.)

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  7. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
    So is this what the name means?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  8. arbelyoni Senior Member

Hebrew
    The name is ישוי (ishvi); הישוי in Numbers 26 is the definite form (part of the construct state משפחת הישוי, "family of the ishvites").
    There were two persons named ישוי in the bible: son of Asher (Genesis 46:17; Numbers 26:44) and son of Saul (1 Samuel 14:49), both of which are only mentioned as lineal descendants and the bible doesn't elaborate about them. It's not a popular modern name and most Israelis wouldn't recognize it.

The name comes from the root שוה, that bears the general meaning of likeness and equality (to equal, to be like); the paradigm (משקל) is imperfect of Qal (a common paradigm for names) + pronominal suffix י, thus making it "(let him) be like me".

9. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
    Thank you.

So the definite form used in Numbers 26 (הישוי) would mean "let him be like me," or "let them be like me"?

10. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    No, הישוי means nothing special by itself, it is ה+ישוי, since משפחת הישוי needs to be definite: the family of the Yishvites (also translated as Jesuits) rather than משפחת ישוי, a family of Yishvi/Yishvites.

11. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
  12. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    I'm afraid this etymology, as well as the popular etymology mentioned above for מיכאל, is not well established. For example, root שוה may mean in this case to regard, consider, think about, as in שיויתי השם לנגדי תמיד (Psalms 16:8), and then ישוי may mean the one I think of, or more likely may God think (= help, guard) of him. And this too is merely a conjecture. The last yod may mean my, and yet also be a variant of ה as happens in Phoenician and northern Hebrew.

13. Isidore Demsky Senior Member

English
    Thank you both.