1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

השומר אחי אנוכי

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by airelibre, Dec 22, 2012.

1. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Could somebody explain to me why it is השומר אחי and not שומר אחי? (Genesis 4) I thought that whenever a word is in construct state, it does not carry 'ה. For example, שומר ישראל does not have a he.

2. trigel Senior Member

English - US, Korean
    הֲ here is the Biblical clause-initial interrogative particle, not the definite article. It's like האם in Modern Hebrew.
    In Modern Hebrew in my experience it's pretty formal:
    הלא כן (is it not?)/האין אתה מסכים (do you not agree?)
    Otherwise it's limited to fixed expressions like הידעת (did you know...)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  3. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Thank you, I didn't know about the interrogative particle!

4. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Would it be possible to have both an interrogative particle and a definitive article on the same word and what would it look like? ההשומר של אחי אנוכי?

Not that anyone would use this, since its probably not easy to understand, but is it nevertheless grammatically acceptable?

5. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Well, biblical Hebrew did not have the word של, so I suppose that couldn't happen.

6. C_J Junior Member

He
    I don't know, I can't think of such an instance. In all of the examples I can think of, I can't attach he hashe'ela to he hayedia. He hashe'ela has to be in the begining of the sentence, but when I convert a sentence that has he hayedia in the beginning I need to change the word order...
    And without של you don't need the first ה"א הידיעה because you use סמיכות instead המחנה של המלך>מחנה המלך.
    In questions such as "Is this the X" you get "הזה ה...?"
    Can you think of any such examples? (try to avoid the maqor form such as "shomer" though, as it is also a verb)

7. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Ok, well if it's not obviously possible, then let's say that even if it were possible, it would be too rare to give it any notice.

Thanks for the help.