1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

והעליתהו (Judges 11)

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Idiomaphile, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Idiomaphile Junior Member

English - US
    אִם־ נָתֹ֥ון תִּתֵּ֛ן אֶת־ בְּנֵ֥י עַמֹּ֖ון בְּיָדִֽי׃ וְהָיָ֣ה הַיֹּוצֵ֗א אֲשֶׁ֨ר יֵצֵ֜א מִדַּלְתֵ֤י בֵיתִי֙ לִקְרָאתִ֔י בְּשׁוּבִ֥י בְשָׁלֹ֖ום מִבְּנֵ֣י עַמֹּ֑ון וְהָיָה֙ לַֽיהוָ֔ה וְהַעֲלִיתִ֖הוּ עֹולָֽה׃

This is from Judges 11. I'm generally mystified by it, but in particular, I'm just looking for an explanation of the verb "וְהַעֲלִיתִ֖הוּ"

I take it the
    וְ is just "and." And the root is, I believe, עָלָה

But I have no idea how to determine what conjugation of the verb this is.

2. dan_hab Junior Member

Hebrew
  3. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    ואתה תעלה אותו

and you shall raise him (going further in the pasuk) olah (sacrifice? to god)

4. Tararam Senior Member

Hebrew
    להעלות עולה = make a sacrifice upon the altar (in Hebrew the verb להעלות is used for this action)
    העליתהו = העלתי + אותו

"If you give the "Moaveans" in my hands, the one to come out to greet me in my peaceful return - for god he will be, and I will sacrifice him."
    This is basically what this verse means. If I'm not mistaken, his daughter is in for a surprise...

5. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    *Moaveans is spelled Moabites in English. And this verse discusses the Ammonites (the people, not the molluscs). Remember that Ammon (today's center of the Jordanian Kingdom) was located between Gil`ad and Moab (today's south of Jordan).

6. Idiomaphile Junior Member

English - US
    Sorry for taking so long to respond. Thanks to everyone. And Tararam, I think you may be right about the daughter's prospects.

If everyone will humor me, I'd like to attempt to parsing the line in full.

אִם־ - if
    נָתֹ֥ון תִּתֵּ֛ן - to give (infinitive absolute) - to give (imperfect, 2nd person masculine) - (direct object אֶת־ בְּנֵ֥י עַמֹּ֖ון - (direct object marker) - sons - (of) Ammon
    בְּיָדִֽי׃ - into - my hand

וְהָיָ֣ה - to become (perf, 3rd m) (now the v' flips the conjugation, correct?, so this is really the imperfect?)
    הַיֹּוצֵ֗א - to come out (participle) (does the הַ make this into a pronoun, something like "the one coming out?")
    אֲשֶׁ֨ר יֵצֵ֜א מִדַּלְתֵ֤י בֵיתִי֙ - which - to come out (perf, 3rd m) - out of the doors - (of) - my house -

לִקְרָאתִ֔י - toward (1st person singular) me
    בְּשׁוּבִ֥י - I'm not sure. The root is "to return," and I take it the bi' is a suffix. A qal imperative?
    בְשָׁלֹ֖ום - in peace
    מִבְּנֵ֣י - from the sons
    עַמֹּ֑ון - of Ammon

וְהָיָה֙ - to become (perf, 3rd m) (now the v' flips the conjugation, correct?, so this is really the imperfect?)
    לַֽיהוָ֔ה - Jehovah
    וְהַעֲלִיתִ֖הוּ - and I will offer
    עֹולָֽה׃ - a burnt sacrifice

7. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Very good translation in general, I have few minor comments.

Generally: native Hebrew speakers prefer to regard the Biblical (and modern) "tenses" as past/present/future rather than the European Academical view of perfect/participle/imperfect

אִם־ - if
    נָתֹ֥ון תִּתֵּ֛ן - to give (infinitive absolute) {the infinitive absolute does not mean "to xxx". Here it emphasizes the action} - to give (imperfect, 2nd person masculine) - (direct object אֶת־ בְּנֵ֥י עַמֹּ֖ון - (direct object marker) - sons - (of) Ammon
    בְּיָדִֽי׃ - into - my hand

וְהָיָ֣ה - to become (perf, 3rd m) (now the v' flips the conjugation, correct?, so this is really the imperfect? {yes, this is "waw consecutive"} )
    הַיֹּוצֵ֗א - to come out (participle) (does the הַ make this into a pronoun, something like "the one coming out?" {yes for the meaning, yet I don't see a pronoun. Remember that the Hebrew participle can be used as any of verb, noun, adjective })
    אֲשֶׁ֨ר יֵצֵ֜א מִדַּלְתֵ֤י בֵיתִי֙- which - to come out (perf, 3rd m) - out of the doors - (of) - my house -

לִקְרָאתִ֔י - toward (1st person singular) me
    בְּשׁוּבִ֥י - I'm not sure. The root is "to return," and I take it the bi' is a suffix. A qal imperative?
    { שוב is "infinitive construct", the prefix ב = when/as, the suffix י = my, therefore "as I return", "at my return" }
    בְשָׁלֹ֖ום - in peace
    מִבְּנֵ֣י - from the sons
    עַמֹּ֑ון - of Ammon

וְהָיָה֙ - to become (perf, 3rd m) (now the v' flips the conjugation, correct?, so this is really the imperfect?)
    לַֽיהוָ֔ה - Jehovah
    וְהַעֲלִיתִ֖הוּ - and I will offer
    עֹולָֽה׃ - a burnt sacrifice[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. Idiomaphile Junior Member

English - US
    Origumi, thanks so much. So my translation would be:

"If you give the sons of Ammon into my hand, the one coming out of the doors of my house towards me when I return in peace from the sons of Ammon, it will become (to) Jehovah, and I will offer a burnt sacrifice."

It seems to me there's two "will becomes," and one seems unnecessary. The of the "waw consecutive," their subjects are both the one coming out of the doors, correct?

9. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    You are correct.
    This is stylistic matter. Forms of two והיה in the same sentence occur is several other places in the Bible.

10. Idiomaphile Junior Member

English - US
    Thanks. Now, let's hope the next sentence is a bit easier.