1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

כמו אדם, היה אלוהים: כאלוהים, אדם אולי יהיה.

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by philipe_7111, Nov 3, 2012.

1. philipe_7111 New Member

English
    Can someone tell me what this religious phrase means? Thank you! :)

כמו אדם, היה אלוהים: כאלוהים, אדם אולי יהיה.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Sounds like a translation of the LDS (Mormon) prophecy: As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be.

3. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Welcome to the forum!

This is the translation into Hebrew of an 1840 quote from Lorenzo Snow, one of the early leaders of Mormonism (the Church of Latter-Day Saints, LDS). As he originally said it in English: "As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become."

4. philipe_7111 New Member

English
    Thank you so much! This is probably a simple question for you guys, but I thought that Hebrew was written right to left. Yet, this phrase has the period at the end.
    Do either of you know if this should be rewritten right to left to make sense contextually as well as grammatically or is it normal for it to be written as is?

If it is more correct to rewrite it reading right to left, would either of you mind doing that for me or telling me how to go about doing it?

EDIT: Also, is this a better translation of that Mormon phrase: כאדם, אלוהים היה. כאלוהים, אדם יכול לההוות. Or do you all think the first one is better?

5. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    The two alternatives look like that in Hebrew (turn your eyes right):

כמו אדם, היה אלוהים. כאלוהים, אדם אולי יהיה.
    כאדם, אלוהים היה. כאלוהים, אדם יכול להיות.

Both are grammatical and seem to me of the same quality.

6. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Many Web browsers, including mine, move the last punctuation mark to the right after one enters letters right to left. In the following phrase, which repeats the first three letters of the Hebrew alphabet twice followed by a digit, I entered one period after the first group. It stayed where it should be at the left of that group. I put another after the second group, and it moved to the right end of everything (that is, before the first group). The period was at the right of the original phrase because of this software quirk, not because it belongs there in Hebrew. It doesn't, and it was almost certainly entered correctly.

אבג1. אבג2.

7. amikama

amikama sordomodo

ישראל
    עברית
    I don't think it's because of the browsers; the problem is that vBulletin, the software that runs the forums, doesn't support right-to-left texts very well. That's why we have to use the RTL/RTLP tags here in the Hebrew forum (and other RTL forums) to avoid bidirectionality glitches.

I've edited Philipe's opening post to fix the placing of the punctuation marks.